Rate This Thread
#3470 - 09/20/14 06:57 AM CORVETTE RACING AT COTA  
teamzr1 Online happy
Owner - Pays the bills
teamzr1  Online Happy
Owner - Pays the bills
Lives in Engine Bay

America
Second and fourth for Corvette DP in Prototype; Magnussen best of Corvette C7.R drivers

Four Corvette DPs in top nine qualifying positions
Corvette Racing to challenge for COTA GT repeat
Manufacturer championships remain in play for Chevrolet in both Prototype, GTLM

AUSTIN, Texas - Corvette Daytona Prototypes posted three of the five fastest laps in Prototype qualifying for the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship's Lone Star Le Mans race at Circuit of the Americas on Friday.

Ricky Taylor from Wayne Taylor Racing and Action Express Racing's Christian Fittipaldi led the Corvette contingent in the TUDOR Championship's premier class.

Taylor set a best lap of 1:58.643 (103.167 mph) in the No. 10 Wayne Taylor Racing Corvette DP that will start on the outside front row of Saturday's 11:35 a.m. CT race.
Directly behind the Wayne Taylor entry will be Fittipaldi's No. 5 Action Express Corvette DP after his lap of 1:59.072 (102.795 mph) in the car he shares with Joao Barbosa.

Barbosa and Fittipaldi lead the class Driver's championship on the strength of three victories this season including the last two Prototype events - Indianapolis and Road America.
The Rolex 24 At Daytona winners lead Ricky and Jordan Taylor by 16 points with two rounds left.

All four Corvette DPs qualified in the top nine. Richard Westbrook was sixth in the No. 90 Spirit of Daytona Corvette DP at 1:59.498 (102.428 mph), and Eric Curran was ninth in the No. 31 Marsh Racing Corvette DP with a time of 2:00.972 (101.180 mph).

Corvette Racing: A Big Challenge Ahead

Jan Magnussen was the quickest qualifier for Corvette Racing in the GTLM class in the No. 3 Chevrolet Corvette C7.R. The Dane - a winner a year ago with teammate Antonio Garcia at COTA in the American Le Mans Series - set a best lap of 2:04.847 (98.040 mph) to place seventh in the session.

Magnussen will make his return to racing in the Corvette after he missed the most recent TUDOR Championship round at VIR as a precaution following a hard crash in a practice session.

There is plenty on the line for the race. Garcia leads the class Driver's championship standings as does the No. 3 Corvette in Team points. Chevrolet ranks second in Manufacturer points.

Oliver Gavin's best lap of 2:05.093 (97.847 mph) in the No. 4 Corvette C7.R placed him ninth in class.
Gavin and teammate Tommy Milner entered COTA looking for a little redemption following last year's race - one that saw Milner lead early before their Corvette C6.R suffered a gearbox failure.

The Lone Star Le Mans will air live starting at 12:30 p.m. ET on FOX Sports 2. The FOX network will present a two-hour broadcast of Lone Star Le Mans on Sunday; check local listings for times.

GTLM QUOTES

JAN MAGNUSSEN, NO. 3 CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R

"It was a tough qualifying session.
This is the furthest we've been from the front all year.
Something seems messed up with the speeds of the different cars. That's what we have to deal with this on the weekend. It's tough qualifying at the back."

OLIVER GAVIN, NO. 4 CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R

"Both Jan and I were trying to find the maximum from our cars. We're obviously not quite as good as some of our competition.
It's a real battle and a real struggle. We felt like we had good cars coming in here.
It's difficult starting eighth and 10th on the grid. It's not where we want to be. We'll go back to look at the data and work at it to see what we can find and see if there are some bits and pieces we can improve on."

DOUG FEHAN, CORVETTE RACING PROGRAM MANAGER

"Qualifying today was a definite challenge. The results certainly weren't up to our usual standards while our class competitors seemed to keep finding speed. There is a lot of work to be done between now and the race tomorrow.

We showed fairly good pace in practice so we're optimistic that our Corvette C7.Rs will be better in the race environment tomorrow."

PROTOTYPE QUOTES

CHRISTIAN FITTIPALDI, NO. 5 ACTION EXPRESS RACING CORVETTE DP

"It was a good effort form the whole team and from Team Chevy.
Of course it would be little better to start a little bit further up but there is a long race ahead of us.
What made me happy is that the car has only improved over the practices and into qualifying. In qualifying the car was the best that it's been. We'll see what we can do with the race. We're satisfied with how we ran today and now we turn our focus to the race."

RICKY TAYLOR, NO. 10 WAYNE TAYLOR RACING CORVETTE DP

"It was starting to drizzle on me, and there was no way we were going to be on pole. The P2s just have a lot in qualifying and the new Ligier is very quick obviously.
I think we are the best of the DPs and that is all we can ask for and the car is really good.
I am happy to have a good qualifying result for this race because this year we haven't had many good ones.
I got behind the P2 and they are as quick as us in the straight and they maintained their advantage in the corners. So the racing is going to be different because we are not going to be able to pass them like we used to."

JIM LUTZ, CORVETTE DAYTONA PROTOTYPE PROGRAM MANAGER

"Outside of the pole-winning car's time, Prototype qualifying was fairly well matched.
Having two cars on the front two rows is a good start for a race that will be heavily influenced by traffic.
Circuit of The Americas requires good momentum so having our Corvette DPs lined up together should help Chevrolet's chances of retaining our Engine Manufacturer championship lead."

Team ZR-1
True Custom Performance Tuning
Teamzr1.com
Team ZR-1 Store
Enter Here
#3471 - 09/20/14 06:59 AM Re: CORVETTE RACING AT COTA [Re: teamzr1]  
teamzr1 Online happy
Owner - Pays the bills
teamzr1  Online Happy
Owner - Pays the bills
Lives in Engine Bay

America
The No. 65 Konica Minolta/Michelin Chevrolet Corvette C7.R will start seventh Saturday in the GTE Pro class of the FIA World Endurance Championship (WEC) race at Circuit of The Americas. Tommy Milner and Jordan Taylor posted a combined average laptime of 2:08.674 around the 3.4-mile, 20-turn layout in qualifying ahead of the Six Hours of Circuit of The Americas.

Corvette Racing is running the FIA WEC round in tandem with its two-car entry in the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship. Milner and Taylor are joined by Ricky Taylor in the entry sponsored by Konica Minolta and Michelin.

It is the first WEC race for Corvette Racing outside the Le Mans 24 Hours, and Friday was the first time for either driver - and the Corvette Racing team, for that matter - to contest the FIA WEC's qualifying format.
The grid for all four classes is set by averaging the two best laps from each team's two qualifying drivers.

Jordan Taylor set the car's fastest lap in qualifying at 2:06.878, and Milner's best time was a 2:09.558.
The latter had to deal with rainy conditions at the start of the session; however the track continued to dry as qualifying went on.

The Corvette Racing crew spent Thursday and Friday tweaking and adjusting the No. 65 entry, which served as the team's test car during the development of the Corvette C7.R prior to the start of the TUDOR Championship season.

The Milner/Taylor/Taylor combination is the only all-American tandem in the FIA WEC race.
In the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship race earlier in the day, Milner will drive Corvette Racing's No. 4 Corvette C7.R alongside Oliver Gavin in the GT Le Mans class.

The Taylors in their No. 10 Wayne Taylor Racing Corvette Daytona Prototype. The two-hour, 45-minute TUDOR Championship race will precede the six-hour WEC round.

The FIA WEC's Six Hours of Circuit of The Americas will be televised live starting at 6 p.m. ET on FOX Sports 2.
Online coverage also will be available on the WEC website with live radio coverage available via radiolemans.com.

CORVETTE RACING FIA WEC QUOTES

TOMMY MILNER

"That was probably the most difficult situation (the weather and qualifying format) you can put a brand new team in.
It was very unfamiliar, and we have never tried a qualifying session like that before.
So as far as the average goes, we certainly could be quicker and it is what it is.
I think we are ninth or so within the GT cars, and more importantly it seems like we have made nice steps in the right direction with the car in the times that we have gone out.

From a car that was sitting for six months to a car that is now racing against some of the toughest competition in the world, I would say job well done by Corvette Racing."

JORDAN TAYLOR

"It's hard to have high expectations coming into it as a one-off race, but we made a lot of progress with the car through practice and made it close in the last session.

Unfortunately qualifying was a bit of a mess with the rain and the format in how it works; it was tricky with a wet couple of corners but we got a good feel for the car.
We have got some good ideas for the race to make a few more improvements but it's a six-hour race so if we just stay out of trouble, we can be there at the end.

"For Ricky and I, (the biggest thing is) just getting laps in the car and getting used to it.

From the car point of view, we can use a lot of data from the TUDOR Championship Corvette C7.Rs, so if we don't make a lot of progress in our session, we can always refer back to those guys for some help and vice versa."

Team ZR-1
Teamzr1.com
#3472 - 09/21/14 09:52 AM Re: CORVETTE RACING AT COTA [Re: teamzr1]  
teamzr1 Online happy
Owner - Pays the bills
teamzr1  Online Happy
Owner - Pays the bills
Lives in Engine Bay

America
Third-place finish for Fittipaldi, Barbosa; Corvette Racing comes up short in COTA repeat attempt

AUSTIN, Texas - Action Express Racing's Joao Barbosa and Christian Fittipaldi led the Corvette Daytona Prototype effort Saturday with a third-place finish in the Lone Star Le Mans event at Circuit of the Americas.
The No. 5 Corvette DP finished on the podium for the third consecutive event as Chevrolet maintained its lead in the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship's Engine Manufacturer standings for Prototypes.

Fittipaldi and Barbosa combined to lead three times for 23 laps in the two-hour, 45-minute race at Circuit of The Americas.
Unofficially, the pair lead the class Driver's championship standings by 22 points heading into the 1,000-mile/10-hour Petit Le Mans – the final race of the year in two weeks at Road Atlanta.

Michael Valiante and Richard Westbrook were the second-best Corvette DP pairing in the race with a sixth-place finish in the No. 90 Spirit of Daytona Racing entry that also led during the race.

Following contact and a flat tire on the opening race lap - which resulted in a flat left-rear tire - Ricky Taylor and Jordan Taylor placed seventh in their No. 10 Wayne Taylor Racing Corvette DP. Eric Curran and Boris Said were eighth in class for Marsh Racing in the No. 31 Corvette DP.

Scott Pruett and Memo Rojas were the overall race winners in their Ford-Riley.

Corvette Racing: A Difficult Day

Returning to the site of a victory in last year's American Le Mans Series race, Corvette Racing aimed for a return to the GT Le Mans (GTLM) podium in the TUDOR Championship.

An early charge by Antonio Garcia in the No. 3 Chevrolet Corvette C7.R at the start of the race raised hopes as the Spaniard moved from seventh to fifth in the opening laps.

The momentum couldn't continue, however, for the team's two Corvette C7.Rs. Garcia and Jan Magnussen finished
ninth in GTLM, followed by the No. 4 Corvette C7.R of Oliver Gavin and Tommy Milner in 10th place.

Garcia drove a double-stint to open the race and handed off to Magnussen with 52 minutes left. The Dane rejoined the race seventh but experienced braking issues that hindered his run.

In the No. 4 Corvette, Milner drove a single stint to open and was part of a five-car battle in the early stages. He handed off to Gavin, who drove with elevated tire pressure as the sun came out and the track warmed.

Jonathan Bomarito and Kuno Wittmer were GTLM class winners.

The final race of the TUDOR Championship is Petit Le Mans on Saturday, Oct. 4 from Road Atlanta in Braselton, Ga. Live coverage will be available on FOX Sports 2 and IMSA.com.

The FOX network will present a two-hour broadcast of Lone Star Le Mans on Sunday; check local listings for times.

GTLM QUOTES

ANTONIO GARCIA, NO. 3 CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R

"The first part of the stint was good. I was able to challenge and overtake some of the cars that had been faster than us earlier in the week.
It was obvious that we were struggling with overall pace.
I tried my best to keep up during those two hours but that didn't make much of a difference in the end.
It's disappointing result for the weekend but we need to recover at Petit Le Mans."

JAN MAGNUSSEN, NO. 3 CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R

"This is not a pleasant feeling.
The results for both cars today are not what we are used to.

Antonio drove well during his double stint and made up a few positions early. But things went south for us in the second part of the race.
The track conditions changed drastically in my stint as the surface got hotter, plus I had a braking issue that hampered our efforts.
Now we have to focus on Road Atlanta and do what we can to move Antonio and Chevrolet back into the championship lead at the end of the last race."

OLIVER GAVIN, NO. 4 CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R

"Obviously it was another tough day for us in the No. 4 Corvette. We continue to struggle with the pace of our competitors.
It gets more and more frustrating. It was a challenge all weekend with the weather and track conditions.
The rear tire pressures went up very high in the middle of the stint which made the car difficult to drive. Plus there was an issue with the passenger door on the driver exchange.

Again it's another example of how things have gone for us this year. Hopefully we can end on a positive note at Road Atlanta."

TOMMY MILNER, NO. 4 CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R

"We kept it close with the big pack there for awhile and that was fun racing. We were just a little bit behind the eight-ball in terms of pace.
We had to keep our nose clean and hope that some of our competitors ahead of us make mistakes so we can move up that way.
The car was pretty good.
There was a bit of understeer for part of the stint but it got better at the end."

DOUG FEHAN, CORVETTE RACING PROGRAM MANAGER

"We had hopes of returning to podium contention this weekend but obviously it wasn't meant to be.
Things aren't working in our favor in a number of areas.
That shouldn't take away from the effort of Corvette Racing to control the factors we can control.
Today's race was disappointing but we still have a very important race to close the year at Petit Le Mans. We will regroup and be ready."

PROTOTYPE QUOTES

JOAO BARBOSA, NO. 5 ACTION EXPRESS RACING CORVETTE DP

"We were having a great race and everything was working perfect.
We may not have had the best pace this weekend, but we had a great result, great team result.
We were in the fight right to the end but the rear tires started to go away and it actually got pretty hectic out there with a couple of the GT cars pushing me around.
I said to myself that this wasn't my fight and I knew where the other cars were, especially the 10 and the 90.
I said this was not our fight and we needed to get as many points as we could, as safe as we could, and that is what I did at the end and was just cruising to save third place without any worries.
I am really proud of all the work that the guys have done this weekend and looking forward to Petit."

CHRISTIAN FITTIPALDI, NO. 5 ACTION EXPRESS RACING CORVETTE DP

"Things went very well and we raced everybody out there with a certain margin for error. Obviously we were paying a lot of attention to the championship.
The car was very good with the usual stuff like the tires starting to fall off but nothing out of the normal.
Obviously the championship is very important, much more important than anything else right now. We have to keep ourselves in the championship and if the race were to fall into our lap - excellent. It didn't today so we will go on to the next one and try to win it."

MICHAEL VALIANTE, NO. 90 SPIRIT OF DAYTONA RACING CORVETTE DP

"It was a tough weekend because we were good in the beginning and we kind of lost our way and found some things that we changed going into the race and weren't really sure what kind of car we would have.
Although we didn't have the best car, we could still run with the leaders. I was able to get the lead on that restart when the 42 and I had contact.

So I think in the end, had we not gotten that penalty from that we had a top-three or top-four car. It's a little disappointing but at the end of the day we just have to make the car better so that we are not fighting so hard to come from behind."

RICHARD WESTBROOK, NO. 90 SPIRIT OF DAYTONA RACING CORVETTE DP

"It was a very tough race for us, and the only positive that we can take away from the whole weekend is that we are closer to second than we were before we came into this.

But that wasn't our goal and we wanted to close the gap to the leader in the championship. We have been chasing the car and the track, and at one point we were fast in practice but we've been a bit lost to be honest with you.
We all need to regroup and come back stronger as a team in Road Atlanta. The track conditions were really difficult out there and the track got really hot in the last stages of the race and there was just no grip out there."

RICKY TAYLOR, NO. 10 WAYNE TAYLOR RACING CORVETTE DP

"It was tough. If I didn't get by (Gustavo Yacaman) there then I wouldn't have gone by him. After that, I just had to get our car back to the pits.
Then I pushed my absolute hardest for however long that was. We got really lucky with the first yellow but I wasn't close enough to the wall on the first stop. It's just incredibly disappointing."

JORDAN TAYLOR, NO. 10 WAYNE TAYLOR RACING CORVETTE DP

"Being a lap down early was definitely disappointing because of how good of a car we had and all the Konica Minolta people that we had here to support us. The car was good so we can leave being happy about that.
We had a winning car I think on pace; things just didn't go our way. Everyone did a good job and it was just kind of out of our hands."

JIM LUTZ, CORVETTE DAYTONA PROTOTYPE PROGRAM MANAGER

"In terms of the Prototype championships, today was a good day.
We maintained our lead in the Engine Manufacturer standings heading to Road Atlanta, and the top three positions in the Driver's and Team championships are Corvette DP competitors.

Today was difficult with a couple of on-track incidents that impacted our ability to ultimately take a victory but the points we accumulated are very good for our championship hopes."

Team ZR-1
Teamzr1.com

Moderated by  teamzr1 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (teamzr1), 17 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
What's New
Teammate Jason does 140 MPH in standing 1/2 mile
by teamzr1. 03/25/24 06:05 AM
C8 Corvette Convertible Water Leak
by teamzr1. 03/21/24 11:41 AM
IMSA 12 Hours of Sebring 2024
by teamzr1. 03/14/24 07:15 PM
No warranty Flipped Z06 now needs costly repairs
by teamzr1. 03/14/24 02:29 PM
Corvette Racing History
by teamzr1. 03/13/24 03:34 PM