teamzr1  Online Happy
Owner - Pays the bills
Lives in Engine Bay

America
Three-day test for defending GT Le Mans race-winning team

Two 2016 Corvette C7.Rs set for full IMSA season
Corvette Racing a two-time winner in Rolex 24
All six Corvette Racing endurance drivers set to attend

DETROIT - Corvette Racing's march to what it hopes is a second straight victory in the Rolex 24 At Daytona continues this week with the annual Roar Before the 24 - a three-day test at Daytona International Speedway. It is the final on-track session ahead of the opening of the 2016 International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) season.

Corvette Racing is a two-time winner in the Rolex 24: overall in 2001 and last year in the GT Le Mans (GTLM) class. Two new 2016-spec Chevrolet Corvette C7.Rs are set for the 24 Hours of Le Mans and the full IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship - including the Rolex 24.

The team has spent the offseason developing and testing the Corvette C7.Rs including a two-day test at Daytona in November. Five of the six Corvette Racing drivers for the Rolex 24 attended: full-season pilots Antonio Garcia, Jan Magnussen, Oliver Gavin and Tommy Milner; plus endurance driver Mike Rockenfeller.

Garcia and Magnussen, who were teammates in the victorious No. 3 Corvette C7.R last year, will drive with Rockenfeller at Daytona and the Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring Fueled by Fresh from Florida.
In the No. 4 Corvette C7.R, Gavin and Milner will drive in the two events with Marcel Fässler, a past World Champion in the FIA World Endurance Championship and part of Corvette Racing's endurance lineup in 2009.

Nearly a year ago, the No. 3 Corvette C7.R won at Daytona by 0.478 seconds while Gavin and Milner were part of the third-place pairing in class.
It started a season in which Corvette Racing claimed endurance racing's Triple Crown - the Rolex 24, Sebring and 24 Hours of Le Mans. No team had won all three races in the same season in 15 years.

Evolution of the Corvette C7.R for 2016

A new round of technical regulations for 2016 by the Automobile Club de l'Ouest, the governing body for the 24 Hours of Le Mans, allows manufacturers additional freedom in the design of GTE cars.
Those include the 2016 Corvette C7.R and others cars competing in the GTE Pro class at Le Mans and GT Le Mans in IMSA's top-level sports car championship.

The aim of the new rules is to enhance the performance of top-level GT cars while making them safer - an area where Corvette Racing has been endurance racing's leader.

Most notable in the updated racing Corvette is an FIA-mandated roof hatch that allows safety workers to insert an extraction device into the cockpit in order to secure a driver's head, neck and spine in the event of an injury.

An improved racing seat also includes more pronounced side restraints and meets higher structural performance requirements.

Corvette Racing has been a trendsetter in the area of driver safety for a number of years. Head restraints have been part of the driver cell in years past, and the team developed a side-impact structure to help dissipate the force of a collision.
The primary chassis structure from the Corvette Z06 production car also is a fundamental component of the crash system.

New rules allow for a significant increase in aerodynamic performance for the 2016-spec Corvette C7.R. A new, larger splitter and a large, 3-D diffuser with tunnels underneath create more downforce while improving efficiency.

The rear wing is located 15 centimeters farther rearward on the 2016 Corvette C7.R, and there are larger and more efficient rocker skirts present, as well.

The powertrain on the Corvette C7.R is unchanged with a 5.5-liter V-8 Chevrolet small block powering the race car. The Corvette C7.R will use E20 fuel during the IMSA season and the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

The Rolex 24 was the site of Corvette Racing's debut on Jan. 31, 1999. Since that first race, the team has competed in more than 170 events around the globe with 97 victories worldwide - including three wins in 2015 - along with 10 team and manufacturer championships in the American Le Mans Series and eight victories at the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

ANTONIO GARCIA, NO. 3 CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R:

"It has been a busy offseason for everyone at Corvette Racing. Everyone on the team has worked very hard to get the new Corvette C7.R ready for 2016.
We have made a large amount of progress in all the testing we've done so far. The potential is there for this to be a better Corvette than we have had the last two seasons - possibly the best one I've driven.
We will look to take those final steps this weekend at Daytona and put ourselves in the best possible position for another win in the Rolex 24."

JAN MAGNUSSEN, NO. 3 CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R:

"It's always nice going back to a place where you've won races. Daytona was tremendous last year for everyone on the team so naturally we're coming here with high expectations.
We have had an extensive test program with the updates to the Corvette C7.R, which will be a big benefit going into this race. There is hardly any time during the week of the race to do any setup work.
You really need to maximize the amount of time you have at the Roar to put yourself in a good spot heading into the Rolex."

MIKE ROCKENFELLER, NO. 3 CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R:

"Getting seat-time in the Corvette C7.R in November was a good experience. I enjoyed getting to know everyone on the team and understanding the processes within Corvette Racing.
It's important to get all you can out of these opportunities ahead of such a big event like Daytona.
That level of preparation allows you to work down toward the smaller items that typically make the difference in 24-hour races like the Rolex."

OLIVER GAVIN, NO. 4 CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R:

"I'm really pleased with the amount of testing we've done on this new Corvette C7.R. It's been great to see how the feel of the car has progressed since the first time we all sat in it.
But we know that we have to be on the top of our game in the GTLM class. We saw in last year's race how important it is to have a car that is fast and reliable around Daytona.
We'll have three days this weekend to work toward our baseline setup for the race. Every session is important since the race-week schedule is incredibly compressed. I'm confident that with the work we've done so far that we will be in great shape."

TOMMY MILNER, NO. 4 CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R:

"It's been a whirlwind offseason for everyone at Corvette Racing with a massive amount of testing and development for 2016. But if you look back at past years, that's where this team has excelled. With how competitive our class is, you need that time in order to arrive at Daytona with the car as well-sorted as possible.
It puts you in a great position for the race as you're able to work with your crews and engineers on fine-tuning your strategy and setup for the race. That was the case last season and I'm confident we will be in that same spot again this year."

MARCEL FÄSSLER, NO. 4 CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R:

"I'm looking forward to returning to the Corvette Racing team. There always has been a high level of respect for the Corvette Racing program, especially considering the success they have at Le Mans.
They always seem to come out with great cars and advanced technologies, and how nice the car is to drive and position of the drivers in the car. Everyone has really high levels of respect for this program, and that shows in the team's results over the years."

DOUG FEHAN, CORVETTE RACING PROGRAM MANAGER:

"This year's Roar is important to Corvette Racing for a number of reasons. You always like to measure yourself against the competition, which this year includes brand new race cars from our competitors.
But our primary focus is on the continued development and preparation our Corvette C7.Rs. As defending Rolex 24 champion, our goal is repeating the success we earned last year, and it all starts at the Roar."

Team ZR-1
True Custom Performance Tuning
Teamzr1.com
Team ZR-1 Store
Enter Here
#3710 - 01/10/16 03:49 PM Re: 2016 C7.R Racing - Dress Rehearsal for Rolex 24 [Re: teamzr1]  
teamzr1 Online happy
Owner - Pays the bills
teamzr1  Online Happy
Owner - Pays the bills
Lives in Engine Bay

America
There was little to choose between the new GTLM contenders from BMW, C7.R Corvette, Ford, Ferrari and Porsche.

Olivier Gavin turned the fastest time of the day for Corvette Racing at 1min 45.106 sec, 0.018s ahead of teammate Mike Rockenfeller.

Bill Auberlen (BMW M6 GTLM) also turned a 1m45.1s lap this morning, when the top eight cars were all separated by less than half a second.

"We're getting through a lot of items on our list that we wanted to try here.

The track is probably pretty representative of what the race will be like with the amount of rubber – there have been lots of cars on the track," related Corvette Racing's Jan Magnussen.
"I think we are moving in the right direction.
We're going through our program – we're trying to be fast all the time, but sometimes we just need to concentrate on the setup and try to learn more about the car and disregard the time.

We're very happy with the way things are going. We have more aero this year and more grip.
The power is the same and these cars are never easy to drive, but they now just feel a little nicer with the added downforce."

Jack Hawksworth claimed the fastest time in the PC division, turning a best of 1m42.118s in the final session on Sunday afternoon for Starworks Motorsport, edging team-mate and reigning European Formula 3 champion Felix Rosenqvist by 0.340s.

The fastest GTD times of the test were turned on Sunday morning, headed by Leh Keen's 1m47.852s in Alex Job Racing's Porsche GT3 R, although some indication of the competitiveness of this class can be gleaned from the fact the top 14 cars, representing six different manufacturers, were covered by just half a second.

Attached Files C7R2016.jpg

Team ZR-1
Teamzr1.com
#3711 - 01/10/16 05:52 PM Re: 2016 C7.R Racing - Dress Rehearsal for Rolex 24 [Re: teamzr1]  
teamzr1 Online happy
Owner - Pays the bills
teamzr1  Online Happy
Owner - Pays the bills
Lives in Engine Bay

America
Luis Felipe “Pipo” Derani made a good first impression at Daytona International Speedway on Sunday, running the fastest lap of the three-day Roar Before the Rolex 24 At Daytona test, the opening event on the 2016 IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship schedule.

Derani turned a lap of 1:39.249 (129.130 mph) in the No. 2 Tequila Patrón ESM Ligier JS P2 co-driven by Scott Sharp, Ed Brown and Johannes van Overbeek.
The 22-year-old Brazilian knocked the similar No. 60 Honda-powered Ligier JS P2 of Ozz Negri, John Pew and AJ Allmendinger from the top after the Michael Shank Racing with Curb/Agajanian trio led much of the three-day test.

“I really did not expect be here (atop the speed chart),” Derani said.
“This is my first time at Daytona, and it’s a unique place with a lot of history. It’s a pleasure to be part of this event for the first time. This is my first time doing sports car racing in the U.S., and I’m having fun.”

Oliver Gavin was quickest in GT Le Mans (GTLM), turning a lap of 1:45.106 (121.934 mph) on Sunday morning, but it was Lucas Luhr that maintained the fastest time of the weekend with his 1:45.088 (121.955 mph) in the No. 100 BMW Team RLL BMW M6 GTLM during the Friday session.
Leh Keen paced GT Daytona (GTD), 1:47.852 (118.830 mph) in the No. 22 Alex Job Racing WeatherTech Porsche 911 GT3 R, while Jack Hawksworth led Prototype Challenge (PC) with a lap of 1:42.118 (125.502 mph) in the final session aboard the No. 8 Starworks Motorsport ORECA FLM09.

In Continental Tire SportsCar Challenge practice, Danny Burkett ran the fastest lap of the weekend with a lap of 1:57.430 (109.137 mph) in the No. 33 CJ Wilson Racing Porsche Cayman GT4 Clubsport. Burkett and regular co-driver Marc Miller were joined by car owner C.J. Wilson in both Grand Sport (GS) sessions on Sunday. Eric Foss was fastest in Street Tuner (ST), running 2:05.688 in the No. 56 Murillo Racing Porsche Cayman.

BR01 Prototype Making American Debut

SMP Racing is partnering with AF Corse in the American debut of the No. 37 BR01, a Paolo Catone-designed LM P2 Prototype that debuted in 2015 and finished sixth in its second race, the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Nicolas Minassian and Maurizio Mediani, the 2014 FIA World Endurance Championship (WEC) P2 titlists, will co-drive with Russians Mikhail Aleshin and Kirill Ladygin.

“The car is a year old, and we starting to get on top of it,” said Minassian, a two-time podium finisher in the 24 Hours of Le Mans.
“We understand the car very well now. This is our first time with the Continental tires, and we’re searching for the right setup. We’re running very well right now.
This is our first time here with the car, but the team is very fired up. We’re going to give it our best. In the back of our head you always want to win. It’s a long race, and anything can happen. We’ve got a good crew, and all the team has lots of experience. I’m expecting us to be at the front.”

Alex Wurz’s Strategic Retirement

Chip Ganassi always has had a knack for delivering surprises. Ganassi did it again with the driver lineup for the No. 01 Ford EcoBoost Riley DP Ganassi, which includes Austria’s Alex Wurz, who announced his retirement last year.

“Chip asked me if I’m happy to do this race, and I told him that I was delighted,” said Wurz. “It’s a cool car, an amazing team and a great organization. I’m happy to be here.”

Wurz, who competed in Formula 1 between 1997 and 2007, most recently drove Toyota’s P1 in WEC competition prior to his retirement.

How did he end up in another ride so soon? Apparently there was a plan all along.

“I always had Daytona on the list,” Wurz said. “I have interviews that go back about 15 years where I said how much I would like to race in the States and at Daytona.
So I had to retire to have the time to do it because it always clashed with my factory contracts.”

Racing in America seems to be living up to Wurz’s expectations, as he has been impressed during his short time at Daytona International Speedway.

“I’m taking it all in,” he said. “Already, coming here and seeing the grandstands, so big and massive. The track, Daytona, for us Europeans it’s such a cool name. A lot of history here, that’s cool.”

Auberlen Happy With Progress Of New BMW M6

BMW Team RLL brought a pair of brand-new BMW M6 GTLMs to the Roar, and have been at or near the top of the GTLM speed charts throughout the three-day event.

“This is a work in progress, but we’ve been getting better every day,” said Bill Auberlen, who shares the No. 25 IHG Rewards Club BMW M6 GTLM with Dirk Werner, Augusto Farfus and Bruno Spengler.

“This was (BMW Motorsport Director) Jens Marquardt’s idea, and he’s implemented everything we’ve needed to make it a competitive car,” Auberlen said. “They’re working tirelessly to make it as good as can be.”

Davis Up To Speed In Stevenson Audi

Fresh off of a Grand Sport (GS) championship in the Continental Tire SportsCar Challenge, Stevenson Motorsports’ Andrew Davis is looking forward to the 2016 season.

“We’re stepping back up into the big show after two great seasons with the Continental Tire Challenge,” Davis said. “We’re really happy to be back to the WeatherTech Championship.”

At the Roar Before the Rolex 24, Davis joined Stevenson Motorsports teammates Robin Liddell, Matt Bell and Lawson Aschenbach in the No. 6 Audi R8 LMS GT3, which is brand new to the team.

“We’re working through the procedures of learning the car,” Davis reported. “With the No. 6, literally, the first wheel turned in its life was here three days ago.
We have all this test time, so now we’re gathering data and getting the time in for all of our drivers.”

The team was successful, landing their R8 third-fastest in GT Daytona at the end of the weekend with a 1:47.949.

“We’ve got a very experienced group and we’re working together and with our new engineers to maximize performance,” said Davis.
“So far it’s been really great; the car is a dream to drive. The performance is very impressive. We’re loving it at this point.”

PR1/Mathiasen Motorsports On Pace In Bid To Repeat In PC

One year ago, PR1/Mathiasen Motorsports scored a dramatic PC victory in the Rolex 24, taking the lead in the closing minutes of the race. The team followed up with class victories in the Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring Fueled by Fresh From Florida and Petit Le Mans powered by Mazda – in addition to the sprint race at Lime Rock Park – capturing the Tequila Patrón North American Endurance Cup.

Tom Kimber-Smith returns to the No. 52 Precision Security Consultants/Prisma/Vista Del Mar ORECA FLM09 with the same goal with a new set of co-drivers, Robert Alon, Jose Gutierrez and Nicholas Boulle.

“It’s great to be back with the same team with new co-drivers,” Kimber-Smith said. “My three teammates are all rookies, but throughout the three-day test they haven’t done anything wrong and we seem to be fairly quick.

This is similar to the same boat we had with the three drivers we were with last year.

“I think we’re going to have a good race. The competition is up from last year, and I think we’re going to have a close, tight battle. I’m not going to say we’re a specialty team in long-distances races, but they seem to play to our strength a little bit more than the short races.”

Muehlner Motorsports America Happy With New Cayman GT4 Clubsport

Muehlner Motorsports America – based just a few miles away from Daytona International Speedway in DeLand, Florida – made its Continental Tire SportsCar Challenge debut at the Roar and posted consistent, top-three times with the No. 21 Porsche Cayman GT4 Clubsport.

Kyle Marcelli drove the car at the Roar, running fourth-fastest with a best lap of 1:57.966 (108.641 mph).

“We have three of the new Clubsports,” team owner Bernhard Muehlner said. “One is at our shop in DeLand, and the other two are in Europe [at the team’s global base in Belgium]. We can have one or both of them shipped over here very quickly if needed.

“We haven’t finalized our lineup for Daytona or the season, but Kyle is our first choice.”

Another driver testing with a new team was Trent Hindman, the 2014 GS champion, who took laps in the No. 34 Alara Motorsports Mazda MX-5 along with regular driver Christian Szymczak.

“Today was the first time I drove an MX-5, and it requires a different style from anything I’ve encountered,” Hindman said. “It’s a blast to drive, through.”

Rolex 24 weekend practice begins on Wednesday, Jan. 27, with sessions for the Continental Tire Challenge and Ferrari Challenge. Opening WeatherTech Championship practice and qualifying is on Thursday, Jan. 28. The BMW Performance 200 takes the green flag on Friday, Jan. 29, while the 54th Rolex 24 At Daytona rolls off on Saturday, Jan. 30.

Team ZR-1
Teamzr1.com
#3712 - 01/11/16 10:22 AM Re: 2016 C7.R Racing - Dress Rehearsal for Rolex 24 [Re: teamzr1]  
teamzr1 Online happy
Owner - Pays the bills
teamzr1  Online Happy
Owner - Pays the bills
Lives in Engine Bay

America
Corvette Racing ran through a 3 day testing program as part of the Roar Before the 24 – the final opportunity for track time ahead of the 54th Rolex 24 At Daytona.
The two Chevrolet Corvette C7.Rs completed a total of 449 laps between them on a weekend focused on development and preparation for the start of the 2016 season.

Oliver Gavin in the No. 4 Corvette C7.R set the second-fastest GT Le Mans (GTLM) time of the weekend and quickest Sunday during the morning session – a 1:45.106 (121.934 mph) lap in the car he will share with Tommy Milner and Marcel Fässler at The Rolex 24.

Gavin and Milner will drive together in the full WeatherTech SportsCar Championship with Fässler joining for Daytona and the Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring.

Antonio Garcia was the fastest of the drivers in the No. 3 Corvette C7.R that he shares with Jan Magnussen and Mike Rockenfeller.
Like Gavin, Garcia’s best effort came Sunday morning and was a 1:45.124 (121.913 mph) lap around the 3.56-mile circuit. It was good enough for fourth on the weekend.

Garcia and Magnussen won the Rolex 24 in GTLM a year ago. It was the first leg of Corvette Racing’s Triple Crown season as it also won at Sebring and the 24 Hours of Le Mans. No team had accomplished the feat in 15 years.

The No. 4 Corvette C7.R team rebounded from an incident Friday in the morning session with Milner behind the wheel. A check valve malfunction ignited a small fire in the right-rear compartment of the race car. It was quickly extinguished, and Milner was uninjured in the incident.
The car returned to the track Saturday morning after the team thoroughly checked the Corvette and made the necessary repairs.

The 2016-spec Corvette C7.R is an updated racecar due to changes in Automobile Club de l’Ouest regulations for top-level GT cars that compete in the IMSA GTLM class.
There are a number of aerodynamic changes including a larger splitter at the front and diffuser at the rear of the Corvette.
Side skirts and a repositioned wing also are among the most notable changes, along with updated safety features that are now mandated on all GTLM cars.

The powertrain on the Corvette C7.R is unchanged from 2015 with a 5.5-liter V-8 Chevrolet small block powering the race car.
The Corvette C7.R will use E20 fuel during the IMSA season and the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

The Rolex 24 was the site of Corvette Racing’s debut on Jan. 31, 1999.
Since that first race, the team has competed in more than 170 events around the globe with 97 victories worldwide – including three wins in 2015 – along with 10 team and manufacturer championships in the American Le Mans Series and eight victories at the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

ANTONIO GARCIA, NO. 3 CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R:

“We always want more track time. But this weekend was very good. The weather gave us a chance to carry on with some things that may help us in the race.
It has been a very productive Roar, which is unusual. You tend to lose a lot of time to things like red flags and weather. We have worked through a lot of things that need to be analyzed in order for us to be quicker for the race.
We have a good baseline and I’m sure the Corvette engineers will make the right decisions to put us in an even better position for the Rolex 24.”

JAN MAGNUSSEN, NO. 3 CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R:

“We’re getting through a lot of items on our list that we wanted to try here.
The track is probably pretty representative of what the race will be like with the amount of rubber – there have been lots of cars on the track.
I think we are moving in the right direction.
We’re going through our program – we’re trying to be fast all the time, but sometimes we just need to concentrate on the setup and try to learn more about the car and disregard the time. We’re very happy with the way things are going.
We have more aero this year and more grip. The power is the same and these cars are never easy to drive, but they now just feel a little nicer with the added downforce.”

MIKE ROCKENFELLER, NO. 3 CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R:

“You always want to have more and more laps, especially when you are in a car like the Corvette that is fun to drive.
You always want to be in the car.
As we all know, we have to get our work done and I think these three days were quite productive. We were lucky with the weather so we could do a lot of work and check off our boxes.
Personally, I feel quite good in the car. I’m still learning lap to lap but I’m already looking forward to the race week.”

OLIVER GAVIN, NO. 4 CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R:

“We’ve made some good progress over the weekend.
It’s been good to get Marcel in the car. It’s great to have him back on the team. Tommy and I have been working away on the car – some suspension stuff and aero bits and pieces.
Everything is pretty much going to plan. We recovered from the incident Friday where we lost some track time. It doesn’t appear that has set us back too much. It’s very positive.
We all seem pretty happy and confident in the car. All in all, we’ve made some good steps forward.”

TOMMY MILNER, NO. 4 CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R:

“The best part about this whole weekend so far is how the guys have done such a great job after the issue we had on Friday.
We got it fixed and the car was basically perfect once we got back on track Saturday. 1-2 in this test is not a bad thing, but it doesn’t mean a whole lot because we are going through our laundry list of items of things to try.

The fact that we are fast is a good thing – it’s better to be fast rather than being not quick and scratching our heads. We felt like we should have been quick coming here because these cars were a known quantity to us. On the outside they are a bit different with the new aero but underneath they are pretty similar.
This is now year three for the C7.R and we’re fine tuning these things now rather than finding big things any more.”

MARCEL FÄSSLER, NO. 4 CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R:

“For sure, this still feels like a Corvette!
The car has changed a bit since I was with the team last. For me, I’m having to learn the car and the track at the same time.
It wasn’t easy to go in immediately and be on pace.
I’ve progressed a bit and still have to learn a lot.
It’s been really good fun to drive this weekend.
I ask a lot of myself but need to be patient to continue learning to understand the car.
The team organized a good test plan – mainly Olly and Tommy did some of the baseline and tuning work as I needed to keep learning about the Corvette.

Now I can speak on what I’ve felt in the car. All this information will definitely help on the race weekend; you don’t want to try new things once the race gets here. The good thing is that the team knows the car so well. It gives us a lot of confidence.”

DOUG FEHAN, CORVETTE RACING PROGRAM MANAGER:

“When you come into a weekend like this, there are a number of boxes you want to check off as part of the testing program.
As Corvette Racing leaves Daytona, by and large we accomplished all the items on our checklist.
With the regulation changes in our class, there are a number of things we needed to understand.

Some of those include how our Corvettes react in traffic with the aerodynamic changes, how certain adjustments make the car behave and where we stand against our competition.
I’m confident saying that based on the last three days, this will be the toughest Rolex 24 we will face but everyone at Corvette Racing is looking forward to that challenge"

Team ZR-1
Teamzr1.com

Moderated by  teamzr1 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (teamzr1), 13 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
What's New
Teammate Jason does 140 MPH in standing 1/2 mile
by teamzr1. 03/25/24 06:05 AM
C8 Corvette Convertible Water Leak
by teamzr1. 03/21/24 11:41 AM
IMSA 12 Hours of Sebring 2024
by teamzr1. 03/14/24 07:15 PM
No warranty Flipped Z06 now needs costly repairs
by teamzr1. 03/14/24 02:29 PM
Corvette Racing History
by teamzr1. 03/13/24 03:34 PM