Owner - Pays the bills
teamzr1  Online Happy
Owner - Pays the bills
Lives in Engine Bay

America
Gavin, Milner enter with GTLM points lead, Rolex and Sebring wins
· Garcia, Magnussen went back-to-back in 2013-14
· Corvette Racing with 99 victories in program history

DETROIT (April 27, 2016) – Corvette Racing will wrap up its two-race swing on the West Coast at one of its most successful venues – Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca for a two-hour sprint race near the Monterey coast.

The Continental Tire Monterey Grand Prix presented by Mazda is the team’s third race of the season and last before the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

A victory Sunday would be Corvette Racing’s eighth at the 2.238-mile, 11-turn circuit on the Monterey Peninsula and fourth in five seasons.
Four different models of Corvette have won races there including the Chevrolet Corvette C7.R that won in 2013 and 2014.

Oliver Gavin and Tommy Milner, drivers of the No. 4 Corvette C7.R, were winners in the 2012 race in the previous-generation Corvette C6.R.
The pairing is the hottest driver in the GT Le Mans (GTLM) class of the IMSA WeatherTech Sports Car Championship.
They opened the season with victories in the Rolex 24 At Daytona and Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring.

They seemed on their way to a victory two weeks ago at Long Beach – which would have been No. 100 for Corvette Racing – before another GTLM competitor Porsche knocked Milner from the lead with two minutes left.
He and Gavin still managed to place second and lead the class Driver’s Championship by 18 points, while Chevrolet leads the Manufacturer Championship by five points.

Antonio Garcia and Jan Magnussen in the No. 3 Corvette C7.R won in 2013 and 2014 at Laguna Seca.
They are looking to end a string of bad luck that resulted in ninth-place finishes in their last two events. They were runners-up to the No. 4 Corvette at Daytona.

The Continental Tire Grand Prix of Monterey for GTLM and Prototype entries is set for 11:15 a.m. PT on Sunday. It will air live on FOX Sports 1 with audio coverage from IMSA Radio is available on IMSA.com.

Corvette Racing Display on Location in Monterey
Corvette Racing fans will have plenty to see and do at Laguna Seca.
In addition to the on-track activity for Corvette Racing and Corvette Daytona Prototypes, the Corvette Racing Display will be open starting Friday morning.
Fans can learn all they need to know about Chevrolet and see a number of Chevy attractions:

• Award-winning Chevrolet 2016 production vehicles such as the Colorado Diesel – the 2016 Motor Trend Truck of the Year – and the Camaro – the 2016 Motor Trend Car of the Year
• Additional Chevrolet vehicles including Silverado HD, Malibu, Cruze, Equinox and Corvette Stingray
• A Corvette C7.R show car
• Samples of Chevrolet engines, performance parts and accessories available to fans for purchase from their local Chevrolet dealer
• A variety of Chevrolet and racing related activities for adults and kids
• Commemorative t-shirts for fans who sign up with Corvette Racing.

The Corvette Racing display opens at 8 a.m., Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

ANTONIO GARCIA, NO. 3 CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R:

“Jan and I are in a similar situation as when we arrived at Laguna Seca in 2013. We had a fast Corvette and were in contention during a number of races prior,
but we finally broke through for our first win together in Monterey. It was a great race and very satisfying.
We arrive again looking to turn around our fortunes. We’ve led every race this year but haven’t gotten the results we feel we deserve. Hopefully we can break through before we head to Le Mans.”

JAN MAGNUSSEN, NO. 3 CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R:

Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca is a fun track to drive and really one of my favorites. There are passing opportunities at the final turn and the hairpin, and you can also grab an opportunity at the Corkscrew but you really have to commit.
With split races for the classes this weekend run over two hours, the weekend is going to be really interesting. If we don’t have any yellows, then two hours is going to be right on the limit of trying to make it on one stop.
The place here at Laguna really has an awesome flow to it. After the Andretti hairpin you can really get an brilliant run through the next flow of corners up to the Corkscrew.

OLIVER GAVIN, NO. 4 CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R:

“Laguna Seca is one of the best venues for sports car racing in America. It’s a fantastic area and that adds to the history of the track and motorsport in the Monterey area.
It also helps that Corvette Racing - and myself personally - has had a great deal of success at Laguna Seca over the years.
Tommy and I have great momentum after the first three rounds of the season.
What happened at Long Beach is still disappointing but we would all like nothing more than to get back on a winning track in Monterey before we prepare for Le Mans.”

TOMMY MILNER, NO. 4 CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R:

“Long Beach is over and everyone on the No. 4 Corvette team is ready to move on to Laguna Seca.
It’s a great place to be and is one of my favorite stops on our schedule. You face a number of challenges with small mistakes potentially leading to bigger problems.
Keeping the car on the track and out of the sand and gravel is a priority.
Fortunately we have a Corvette that brakes and turns well in the mid-speed corners that make up the layout. Leaving here with the points lead and a victory would give us great momentum ahead of our return to Le Mans in June.”

DOUG FEHAN, CORVETTE RACING PROGRAM MANAGER:

“The Monterey Peninsula is certainly the most panoramic region we visit, and Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca is one of the most formidable circuits on which we race.
From the iconic Corkscrew to the windblown sand, this place presents every driver with daunting challenges at every corner.
After our brush with victory in Long Beach, I can assure you all our guys are totally engaged and fully prepared to give our fans what they pay to see and move on to Le Mans on a positive note.”

Team ZR-1
True Custom Performance Tuning
Teamzr1.com
Team ZR-1 Store
Enter Here
#3759 - 05/01/16 06:29 AM Re: CORVETTE RACING AT MONTEREY [Re: teamzr1]  
teamzr1 Online happy
Owner - Pays the bills
teamzr1  Online Happy
Owner - Pays the bills
Lives in Engine Bay

America
Second Row Start for Milner in GTLM

Cameron, R. Taylor fill up all-Corvette DP second row in Prototype

Magnussen to line up behind teammate in No. 3 Corvette C7.R
Three Monterey class wins in last four years for both Corvette Racing, Corvette DP
Corvette Racing with 99 victories in program history

MONTEREY, Calif. (April 30, 2016) – Corvette Racing will challenge for its fourth class victory in five tries at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca on Sunday from the second and third rows of the GT Le Mans (GTLM) grid for the Continental Tire Grand Prix of Monterey. Tommy Milner qualified the No. 4 Chevrolet Corvette C7.R fourth in class Saturday with a lap of 1:23.385 (96.622 mph).

Meanwhile, Chevrolet’s Corvette Daytona Prototype teams will look to match Corvette Racing’s mark with another overall victory in the Continental Tire Grand Prix of Monterey. Dane Cameron in the Action Express Racing No. 31 Whelen Engineering/Team Fox entry led the four-car Corvette DP contingent by qualifying third at 1:19.072 (101.892 mph). He will team with Eric Curran.

Milner will have Jan Magnussen in the No. 3 Corvette C7.R behind him at the start. Magnussen qualified sixth in the No. 3 Corvette C7.R at 1:23.450 (96.546 mph). He and Antonio Garcia were class winners at Laguna Seca in 2013 and 2014.

Milner and Oliver Gavin won in 2012; the pairing came to Monterey with two victories and a runner-up finish in the first three races. They lead the GTLM championship as a result.

A victory Sunday would be Corvette Racing’s eighth at the 2.238-mile, 11-turn circuit on the Monterey Peninsula and fourth in five seasons. This also is the team’s last race before the 24 Hours of Le Mans in June.

The second row of the Prototype grid will feature two Corvette DPs. Ricky Taylor in the Wayne Taylor Racing No. 10 Konica Minolta Corvette DP, last year’s Monterey pole-winner, qualified fourth Saturday with a lap of 1:19.119 (101.831 mph).
He will drive with brother Jordan Taylor, and the two are coming off a victory in the most recent IMSA round at Long Beach.

Christian Fittipaldi in Action Express Racing’s No. 5 Mustang Sampling Corvette DP qualified fifth at 1:19.214 (101.709 mph). He and teammate Joao Barbosa are the Prototype points leaders entering Sunday.

In the No. 90 VisitFlorida.com Corvette DP, Ryan Dalziel qualified seventh with a best lap of 1:19.652 (101.150 mph). He and Marc Goossens will share last year’s race-winning Visit Florida Racing Corvette DP.

The Continental Tire Grand Prix of Monterey for GTLM and Prototype entries is set for 11:15 a.m. PT on Sunday. It will air live on FOX Sports 1 with audio coverage from IMSA Radio is available on IMSA.com.

CORVETTE RACING QUOTES

TOMMY MILNER, NO. 4 CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R – QUALIFIED FOURTH IN GTLM:

“It was better than we expected! We’ve been fifth or sixth all weekend, and we ended up fourth. So it’s not a huge gain but in this class, every position matters.
In the end, I was really, really happy with that. In the last practice session we did a lot of work on long runs. It looks like that is going to be a challenge here tomorrow – managing tires, getting the car to last to the end and have it be driveable.
It is going to be a long race tomorrow I feel like with how the tires are acting. We’re not really sure where everybody else is with tires and what they are doing as far as their long-run pace. I think we’re fairly happy here with the No. 4 car where it is; it’s as good as we’ve had it.

And certainly getting a good qualifying effort will be massively helpful once we get to the race. Hopefully we will be able to keep this spot on the start or even gain a spot of two if we are lucky and just try to get it half way to hand it over to Oliver.”

JAN MAGNUSSEN, NO. 3 CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R – QUALIFIED SIXTH IN GTLM:

“Obviously I’m not so happy about qualifying sixth, but I think we probably got the most out of it.
We improved the Corvette in certain areas but didn’t really make any headway in others.
It is what it is. Maybe we can improve a little bit in the race tomorrow, but it starts to be a little bit of a gamble – we can make small changes, but that’s about it.

CORVETTE DAYTONA PROTOTYPE QUOTES

DANE CAMERON, ACTION EXPRESS RACING NO. 31 WHELEN ENGINEERING/TEAM FOX CORVETTE DP – QUALIFIED THIRD IN PROTOTYPE:

“I think we maximized the potential for what we have for our type of car. I’m pleased to be starting near the front and doing something a little bit different – shuffling the driver order a bit. We’ll see what shakes out tomorrow.
We’ve made a ton of progress on our Whelen Engineering Corvette over this weekend and even compared to last year where we struggled a little bit. We’re a lot happier to be a lot further up the road than we were this time last year.
We’re looking for a strong race and another podium and trying to jump in points on the rest of these guys and win this championship.”

RICKY TAYLOR, WAYNE TAYLOR RACING NO. 10 KONICA MINOLTA CORVETTE DP – QUALIFIED FOURTH IN PROTOTYPE:”

It was good. I think it is interesting what the No. 31 is doing with drivers – qualifying with the fast guy. I think a good advantage for us is we have two good, strong drivers.
It is a bit of a shame not being third because I had a lap going that would have probably put us there. I made a little mistake, but that is my fault.
When we get to the race, anything can happen. The first two sequence of corners, Turn Two and Turn Three are always a bit messy.

Your starting position hardly ever stays the same here after the first lap. I think we’ll have a good race tomorrow.
We have a lot of confidence in that we have two strong drivers and the other teams are starting their fast guys. We aren’t really racing the Mazdas so I think we are in good shape.
The Corvette DP has been solid. Reliability is a given for us because the guys always prepare such a good car.”

Team ZR-1
Teamzr1.com
#3760 - 05/02/16 07:25 AM Re: CORVETTE RACING AT MONTEREY [Re: teamzr1]  
teamzr1 Online happy
Owner - Pays the bills
teamzr1  Online Happy
Owner - Pays the bills
Lives in Engine Bay

America
CORVETTE RACING AT MONTEREY: GTLM Points Lead Heading to Le Mans

Visit Florida Racing, No. 31 Action Express Racing Corvette DPs on overall podium

Fuel strategy nearly pays off for Garcia, Magnussen
Gavin, Milner retain GTLM points battle despite pit penalty
Goossens, Dalziel second after starting from pit lane

MONTEREY, Calif. (May 1, 2016) – Corvette Racing ended its early-season IMSA campaign with fourth- and seventh-place finishes in the GT Le Mans (GTLM) class in the Continental Tire Monterey Grand Prix, results that were good enough for America’s premier GT racing team and Chevrolet to retain their Driver, Manufacturer and Team points lead heading to the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

Antonio Garcia and Jan Magnussen led Corvette Racing’s efforts Sunday at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca in the No. 3 Chevrolet Corvette C7.R.
It was their best result since finishing second to open the season in the Rolex 24 At Daytona. Tommy Milner and Oliver Gavin in the No. 4 Corvette C7.R finished high enough in the order to keep their championship advantage.

Meanwhile, two Corvette Daytona Prototypes finished on the overall podium. Visit Florida Racing’s No. 90 VisitFlorida.com Corvette DP of Marc Goossens and Ryan Dalziel placed second despite starting from pitlane and serving an opening-lap penalty for not completing the pre-race formation laps.

Eric Curran and Dane Cameron were third in Action Express Racing’s No. 31 Whelen Engineering/Team Fox Corvette DP. That was enough to move them into the Prototype Driver’s Championship lead after four races with Visit Florida Racing now third in Driver’s and Team points.
The two cars ran nose to tail for the better part of 40 minutes to close the race.

Action Express Racing’s duo of Joao Barbosa and Christian Fittipaldi in the No. 5 Mustang Sampling Corvette DP are now second in Prototype points after their seventh-place finish. Ricky Taylor and Jordan Taylor in the Wayne Taylor Racing No. 10 Konica Minolta Corvette DP unofficially sit fourth in points after a sixth-place finish.
The two cars were involved in an early-race incident that sent both prototypes off track.

Back in GTLM, both Corvette C7.R teams fought back from adversity.
Milner drove the first stint in the No. 4 Corvette and pitted from fifth place, and Gavin brought the C7.R back in for its last fuel fill with 42 minutes left.

Unfortunately the team was called for a drive-through penalty when the Corvette’s wheels spun while it was still on its air jacks.

The result dropped Gavin back to 10th, but he picked up three spots in the final 39 minutes.

The No. 3 Corvette team attempted to complete the two-hour race on one pit stop, but Garcia had to come in for a splash on the final lap while running second in class.
It was a testament to the strategy and fuel savings by Garcia and the No. 3 C7.R camp that the Corvette only fell two spots on the last stop.

Corvette Racing’s next event is the 84th running of the 24 Hours of Le Mans on June 18-19 from the Circuit de la Sarthe in France.
The team is the defending GTE Pro race-winner and is the first sports car team to win five straight endurance Triple Crown events – Daytona, Sebring and Le Mans.

Corvette Daytona Prototype teams will race in the Chevrolet Sports Car Classic presented by Metro Detroit Chevy Dealers on Saturday, June 4 from the Raceway at Belle Isle Park.

CORVETTE RACING QUOTES

JAN MAGNUSSEN, NO. 3 CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R – FINISHED FOURTH IN GTLM:

“It wasn’t a great stint for me at the start. I didn’t really have the speed to do much other than try and keep up with Tommy (Milner in the No. 4 Corvette).
I lost a lot of rear grip at the end with the new tire. It was a bit of a gamble on the fuel at the end. We lost out by a half-lap but that’s how these things go.
It wasn’t the worst weekend but it should have been better for us. Now we go away and test for Le Mans. Hopefully the second half of this season will be better for us on the No. 3 car than the first half.”

ANTONIO GARCIA, NO. 3 CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R – FINISHED FOURTH IN GTLM:

“I kind of knew when I got in the car that it was going to be a fuel race. I was already saving fuel before the team asked me to. It was tough to be surrounded by so many cars and Olly to keep the fuel usage low and still stay competitive.
We almost made it.
It was a shame that we lost telemetry for a number of laps. Our engineers couldn’t give me a fuel number to hit, so we were kind of guessing to see what we needed to do to go to the end.
It’s a shame we had to pit with a lap to go. It’s not really nice being in pits waiting for fuel when you see the white flag waving. Sometimes the strategy works and sometimes it doesn’t.

We were about a half-lap shy today. I’m happy with how the Corvette developed over the weekend. We need to keep working on these tires ahead of Le Mans.
The first four races, we’ve been very competitive but just haven’t gotten the results. Getting fourth today with the extra stop is something we can be happy with.”

TOMMY MILNER, NO. 4 CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R – FINISHED SEVENTH IN GTLM:

“It is always close in our class. That’s racing.
You are going to have some contact every now and then. The Ferrari and I had a little run-in there at the start which was good racing. I had to run wide there in the last corner and he could have given me a bit more room but I can’t fault him for that. Like I said, hopefully no more paint.
But if we have to, we will.”

HOW DID THE NEW MICHELIN TIRE WORK OUT?

“Looking at practice, it seemed like the long-run stuff was going to be super important and we focused on that. The car was pretty good;
I still had some issues with drive off the corners so we are still learning.
It is still all brand new to us, but Michelin always brings great stuff. It is just a matter of us getting our heads around what makes these tires work and we know Corvette Racing will work hard to make that happen.”

OLIVER GAVIN, NO. 4 CHEVROLET CORVETTE C7.R – FINISHED SEVENTH IN GTLM:

“The No. 25 BMW didn’t fight me hard near the end. Then I was catching the other BMW and the No. 911 Porsche very quickly. We were fighting so hard.
Then in Turn Three, the Porsche stuck it on the inside of the BMW and the pair of them swung super wide, and I just slung-shot my way past the and that was no problem.
And then I was on the tail of the Porsche, the 911. He wasn’t bad but you could see that he would be good for a lap, and then he would start to go away again. I knew that if I could get myself out of Turn 10 and into 11 well I could up the inside of him. He didn’t fight me hard and I got by him.

Then it was a case of me pushing it. Chuck (Houghton, No. 4 Corvette race engineer) was on the radio saying that the No. 62 Ferrari and the Ford were slower.
I was chasing them, but I just ran out of laps. But I certainly would have had one of them if not both. It was a frustrating day, but ultimately the guys we were fighting in the championship it wasn’t bad. We lost some ground to the 912 Porsche, but we scored more points than the 911 and the 25.
We didn’t make a gain but there was also no real loss in the championship today. But I felt happy and pretty comfortable with the car.

That last stint it was solid to drive; the balance wasn’t bad and we just had to manage the tires. But I’m frustrated about the pit stop – that just undid us. We have been so strong all year in the pits, it was just that small bobble when the car just didn’t come down when we needed it to come down. These things sometimes happen. It is part of racing. Everybody will have one of those during the year.”

CORVETTE DAYTONA PROTOTYPE QUOTES

MARC GOOSSENS, VISIT FLORIDA RACING NO. 90 VISITFLORIDA.COM CORVETTE DP – FINISHED SECOND:

“The car came back to us during the first part of the race and we had more for them. Ryan (Dalziel) did a great job, starting from pit lane and making himself wait for traffic.
I tried to do the same thing. Our pace wasn’t bad but I don’t think we had the strongest car. Then when the accident happened between the 5 and the 10, we thought we could come away with some good points.
So this is really a fantastic result, and a great reward for all the work the Visit Florida guys put into working on the car and improving what we could this weekend.”

RYAN DALZIEL, VISIT FLORIDA RACING NO. 90 VISITFLORIDA.COM CORVETTE DP – FINISHED SECOND:

“We obviously got lucky, but our race pace was quite good. We had a really good strategy to pit early and leap frog some guys. Marc had to hang on at the end.
It was a really tough weekend with a lot of bad luck so we feel we deserve a podium. We’ll take it, and make the car better for the next one.
We never put our heads down; we were frustrated but we focused on making it better. We’re not where we want to be yet, we still have some work to do. But we woke up this morning hoping it would be better, but I don’t think we expected this!”

RICKY TAYLOR, WAYNE TAYLOR RACING NO. 10 KONICA MINOLTA CORVETTE DP – FINISHED SIXTH IN PROTOTYPE:

“It’s hard to pass around here, so I finally was able to get by Christian and then I just felt a hit in the right rear going into the next corner.
We were racing hard, but I think there’s a difference between getting into each other door-to-door than front-to-rear.
Obviously, it’s a disappointing result but other teams that we are fighting for the championship didn’t have a great day today, either. The No. 31 (Action Express Racing Corvette DP) didn’t get as many points as they could’ve, and the No. 5 finished behind us.
So we’ll go to the next race at Detroit with our great car, which is always fast there, and we’ll pick up there and take the positives we can from here.
We’re just six points back in the championship, which isn’t that much. We’ve got a great team and we’re going to keep pushing. It’s still early in the year.
This time last year, we were much further behind, so I think we’ve got a good chance.”

Team ZR-1
Teamzr1.com

Moderated by  teamzr1 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (teamzr1), 13 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
What's New
Teammate Jason does 140 MPH in standing 1/2 mile
by teamzr1. 03/25/24 06:05 AM
C8 Corvette Convertible Water Leak
by teamzr1. 03/21/24 11:41 AM
IMSA 12 Hours of Sebring 2024
by teamzr1. 03/14/24 07:15 PM
No warranty Flipped Z06 now needs costly repairs
by teamzr1. 03/14/24 02:29 PM
Corvette Racing History
by teamzr1. 03/13/24 03:34 PM