Posts6,135
Members50
Most Online265
Jan 21st, 2023
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
#4662 - 02/19/20 09:53 AM Stingray Racing at COTA: Next Steps in Corvette C8.R Development  
teamzr1 Offline
Owner - Pays the bills
teamzr1  Offline
Owner - Pays the bills
Lives in Engine Bay

America
Corvette Racing will embark on its next step in the development of the new Chevrolet Corvette C8.R this weekend.
The program returns to competition in the FIA World Endurance Championship at Circuit of The Americas with one mid-engine Corvette for Sunday’s Six Hours of COTA.

Jan Magnussen and Mike Rockenfeller will team in the No. 63 Mobil 1/SiriusXM Corvette C8.R in the Lone Star State.
It’s the first of two FIA WEC rounds for the pair with the 1,000 Miles of Sebring upcoming in March with Magnussen and Rockenfeller competing in the GTE Pro category.

COTA is a familiar place for Corvette Racing.
The team is a two-time winner at the 3.4-mile, 20-turn layout just outside the Austin city limits. Magnussen was part of those two victories in 2013 with the Corvette C6.R and 2017 in a Corvette C7.R. Meanwhile, this weekend’s trip will be the first for Rockenfeller to Circuit of The Americas, although he has spent time learning the circuit through simulation and video.

The Six Hours of COTA will be the second event for the Corvette C8.R following a successful debut at the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship’s Rolex 24 At Daytona. Each of the two Corvettes finished their first race with the No. 3 C8.R finishing fourth and covering more mileage than any previous Corvette at Daytona.

The goal for the WEC rounds at COTA and Sebring is continue development of the mid-engine Corvette against similar manufacturer-backed competition that Corvette Racing faces in the IMSA GT Le Mans class.
A mix of track testing and simulation has been the backbone of testing and development of the C8.R for nearly two full years.

The return of Magnussen and Rockenfeller, past endurance teammates with Corvette Racing, allows for the team to focus on technical and mechanical improvements to the Corvette with familiar drivers.
Magnussen spent 16 years with Corvette Racing and won four times at the 24 Hours Le Mans, once at the Rolex 24 and captured four IMSA Driver’s Championships. Rockenfeller was a winner with Corvette Racing at the 2017 Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring with Magnussen and Antonio Garcia.

The FIA WEC’s Six Hours of COTA will air Sunday on MotorTrend Network from 12:30 p.m.-2 p.m. ET and 6-7:30 p.m. ET.

JAN MAGNUSSEN, NO. 63 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C8.R:

"I’m looking forward to getting back to Austin and COTA. It’s a new car obviously, and I’m excited to drive the Corvette C8.R at COTA.
I’ve had some really good experiences with the C7.R at COTA in the past.
Hopefully this will be another great result for Corvette Racing."

"We are going against the best in the business in the middle of their season, so we will go in there a little bit on the back foot.
We’ll go in there to see where we are, what we can do and will make the best of it.
We have high hopes with the new C8.R, so we’ll do the best we can to get the best possible result."

MIKE ROCKENFELLER, NO. 63 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C8.R:

"I’m really looking forward to feel in reality how the new Corvette is. I’ve been in the team shop for a seat fitting during a couple days.
So I know the car in detail sitting in it and looking at it. I followed the team closely at Daytona.
The mid-engine Corvette looked very fast and competitive at Daytona going that distance and being in contention for a win this early is a good sign.
But for me, it will be great to be behind the wheel on the racetrack. That’s what I’m really looking forward to."

Race Schedule :

"What I have done and will continue to do is drive the track on my simulator at home.
I’ve already done several laps already so I know the track from that. But I do want to do that more in preparation for the race.
I have heard now nice Austin is from a lot of people in different categories.
So I’m looking forward to it. Hopefully we have a good race that’s even more important!"

Attached Files image_17476.jpg

Team ZR-1
True Custom Performance Tuning
Teamzr1.com
Team ZR-1 Store
Enter Here
#4666 - 02/22/20 05:06 PM Re: Stingray Racing at COTA: Next Steps in Corvette C8.R Development [Re: teamzr1]  
teamzr1 Offline
Owner - Pays the bills
teamzr1  Offline
Owner - Pays the bills
Lives in Engine Bay

America
Well after 2 practice sessions and then qualify the C8.R placed last mad

The WEC debuting Chevrolet Corvette C8.R, meanwhile,
qualified ninth overall among the GTE contenders and last in class,
with Mike Rockenfeller and Jan Magnussen’s 2:02.967 average some 2.2 seconds slower than the pole-sitting Aston.

Attached Files wecq.jpg

Team ZR-1
Teamzr1.com
#4667 - 02/22/20 08:10 PM Re: Stingray Racing at COTA: Next Steps in Corvette C8.R Development [Re: teamzr1]  
teamzr1 Offline
Owner - Pays the bills
teamzr1  Offline
Owner - Pays the bills
Lives in Engine Bay

America
Magnussen, Rockenfeller relish first laps in new mid-engine Corvette racecar

CORVETTE RACING AT COTA: Positive Steps Forward for Corvette C8.R
Magnussen, Rockenfeller relish first laps in new mid-engine Corvette racecar

AUSTIN, Texas (February 22, 2020) – Corvette Racing and the No. 63 Mobil 1/SiriusXM Chevrolet Corvette C8.R will roll off seventh in the GTE Pro category for Sunday’s Six Hours of COTA for the World Endurance Championship.
Jan Magnussen and Mike Rockenfeller posted an average lap of 2:02.967 (100.725 mph) in the unique two-driver qualifying format Saturday at Circuit of The Americas.

It wrapped up a day that saw the mid-engine Corvette C8.R turns laps at COTA and in the FIA WEC for the first time following its competition debut at last month’s Rolex 24 At Daytona.
Magnussen, Rockenfeller and the Corvette Racing operation made steady gains from Saturday morning’s first session and were within a second of the top runners in class by the end of the final practice.

Rockenfeller, who was second to qualify, set a best lap in qualifying of 2:02.255 (100.849 mph) with Magnussen posting a 2:03.679 (100.600 mph).

The three sessions Saturday continued to build the team’s notebook of data on the new Corvette.
The team will use the feedback and results to prepare the C8.R for the next round of WEC at Sebring International Raceway in March, as well as its two IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship Corvettes ahead of the Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring on the same weekend.

The FIA WEC’s Six Hours of COTA will air Sunday live on MotorTrend Network and the MotorTrend On-Demand App starting at 1 p.m. ET. Live audio coverage will be available via [radiolemans.com]

"We had good improvement from first practice to second practice;
I was quite happy with everything after second practice.
Qualifying was a step back with an unfortunate issue that we were able to address for Mike's run, but it meant I was unable to go for a lap time. That's obviously very disappointing, but we're here to learn everything we can.
We're definitely doing that. Hopefully we can have a problem-free race tomorrow and get the best out of it."

"For me obviously there were a lot of things to learn today new car, new track.
It's not so easy when you have to adapt quick. You don't have a lot of tires here with these regulations. I tried to use my time in the Corvette as much as I can.

I thought we made a lot of progress over the day in improving the setup of the car. It looked like we are behind and in qualifying showed the same tendency but we always try our best.
For me, the handling was pretty decent and I hope we have a good race car for tomorrow, but for sure it is going to be tough."

Team ZR-1
Teamzr1.com
#4668 - 02/23/20 05:50 PM Re: Stingray Racing at COTA: Next Steps in Corvette C8.R Development [Re: teamzr1]  
teamzr1 Offline
Owner - Pays the bills
teamzr1  Offline
Owner - Pays the bills
Lives in Engine Bay

America
End of race
C8.R was down 1 lap in 6th place as 1 Porche had electrical issues finished last
C8.R never got better as running 2 seconds/2MPH slower then most in class

Had 1 less pit stop but still could not run any faster

Attached Files WECfinish.jpg

Team ZR-1
Teamzr1.com
#4670 - 02/23/20 07:17 PM Re: Stingray Racing at COTA: Next Steps in Corvette C8.R Development [Re: teamzr1]  
teamzr1 Offline
Owner - Pays the bills
teamzr1  Offline
Owner - Pays the bills
Lives in Engine Bay

America
Corvette Racing ran another trouble-free event in the second race for the new Chevrolet Corvette C8.R on Sunday with a sixth-place class finish in the FIA World Endurance Championship’s Six Hours of COTA at Circuit of The Americas.

Jan Magnussen & Mike Rockenfeller, each making their first starts in the mid-engine No. 63 Mobil 1/SiriusXM Corvette C8.R, completed 170 laps for 570 miles in the highly competitive GTE Pro category.
Despite lacking the same outright performance as the other manufacturer teams in the class, the Corvette Racing program still went away from the weekend with a significant amount of data and notes that will be applied to the C8.R ahead of its next event at Sebring International Raceway in March.

Sunday’s run was in addition to a successful debut for the Corvette C8.R in the Rolex 24 At Daytona where the No. 3 Corvette completed more laps and miles than any previous Corvette in race history.

On Sunday, Magnussen drove the first two stints in the car and was able to overtake two cars in his opening run. He drove more than an hour in each of his stints before handing over to Rockenfeller, making his first appearance at the COTA circuit.
He drove the middle three stints before Magnussen closed the race with the final run in the Corvette.

Neither driver made a mistake on track, and the Corvette Racing pit work turned in its usual exemplary performance.
That provided program engineers ample data to study with the aim of contending for victory at upcoming races in both the FIA World Endurance Championship and the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship.
Fuel usage, engine and tire performance, and chassis settings were among the many areas where the team will further study and dissect data.

Corvette Racing will compete in both series at the upcoming Super Sebring weekend March 20-21 the Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring for IMSA and the 1,000 Miles of Sebring for FIA WEC.

"Obviously we were very far off the pace, but we have learned and taken things away from this experience with the new Corvette.

For sure we were down on power but there are other areas where we can improve.
In a race like this, you have a chance to play around a little bit with different setups and you can try some different things look at what other teams are doing, how the other cars are handling, where they are strong and where we need to be stronger.
As tough as this race was, I’m excited for Sebring. It should be better with the things we’ve taken away from this weekend."

"I think it was good first experience for me to be in the new Corvette. It was first time at COTA so obviously a lot of new things to learn.

The C8.R ran pretty well. There were no issues technically.
I’m sure operationally, it is always a new rhythm so that is why we are happy to do these WEC races to get up to speed again.
Here and there we can improve. I’m sure we will make improvements and we will make a step for Sebring.

Obviously we were lacking pace; that was quite obvious the two days.
There was not much we could do. We did everything we could.
We tried to learn. We tried to do different things in the race.
We tried to stretch fuel in the stints and we did one stop less so that was good.
Clearly we need more pace for Sebring, and I am looking forward to that.
I don’t think there was too much negative except obviously not the result we were aiming for.
But the goal was not to win the race, it was really was to go through to see where we can improve and then at Sebring see if we have a shot."

Team ZR-1
Teamzr1.com

Moderated by  teamzr1 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 23 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
What's New
Teammate Jason does 140 MPH in standing 1/2 mile
by teamzr1. 03/25/24 06:05 AM
C8 Corvette Convertible Water Leak
by teamzr1. 03/21/24 11:41 AM
IMSA 12 Hours of Sebring 2024
by teamzr1. 03/14/24 07:15 PM
No warranty Flipped Z06 now needs costly repairs
by teamzr1. 03/14/24 02:29 PM
Corvette Racing History
by teamzr1. 03/13/24 03:34 PM