Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4798 - 07/27/20 08:35 PM IMSA ROAD AMERICA This Weekend  
teamzr1 Offline
Owner - Pays the bills
teamzr1  Offline
Owner - Pays the bills
Lives in Engine Bay

America
Corvette Racing drivers Antonio Garcia and Jordan Taylor (No. 3 Mobil 1/SiriusXM Chevrolet Corvette C8.R) met with members of the media during a Zoom conference call Monday to discuss their GT Le Mans championship lead, progress of the mid-engine Corvette C8.R and the outlook for the IMSA SportsCar Weekend event at Road America, among other topics. FULL TRANSCRIPT:

ANTONIO GARCIA, NO. 3 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C8.R

ROAD AMERICA WAS THE FIRST TRACK WHERE YOU TESTED THE CORVETTE C8.R. CAN YOU CONTRAST WHAT THE CAR FELT LIKE BACK IN 2018 AND HOW IT IS NOW?

“I hope it’s very different, although back then it was already very good.
I saw this morning an in-car video of the C8.R around Road America, and that makes you think about how much the car has developed in almost two years. It already was really good back then so obviously now it should be even better.
So I’m really looking forward to Friday and the first practice to see what it feels like.
I was at the Chevy simulator late last week, and it felt really good. We need to double check and see how it feels come Friday on the racetrack.”

WHAT HAS TRANSPIRED SINCE THE BREAK, AND WHY HAS THE TEAM BEEN ON SUCH A HOT STREAK?

“At the Rolex 24, we were good but that was hidden by little mistakes and issues we had toward the finish.
We had been competitive for the first 20 hours but had a few little things going on with the car because it was very new.
The pace was there but we weren’t able to fight for the win at the end. Each month, there is a ton of development and we continue to show that.
Even when we weren’t on the track, we continued to develop the C8.R.”

DOES RUNNING THE DAYTONA ROAD COURSE WITH NASCAR INTEREST YOU?

“Definitely it does. I love racing and I love racing in different series, so I’d like to have a go in this one. With no practice or anything until the race, maybe it would be a little bit of risk for the driver or the team.
But I think we should open up our minds a little bit to see if it leads to more IMSA guys going to NASCAR. It would be very good for both series.”

IN THE U.S., WE KIND OF GO BIG FOR A 40TH BIRTHDAY. WERE YOU ABLE TO DO ANYTHING BIG WHEN YOU WERE IN SPAIN OR IS IT NOT AS BIG A DEAL?

“It is for sure. I had a little party because back then in June we were open a little bit in Spain. The amount of people you could gather was very small.
We had a little dinner and little party with not even 20 people. It was good fun but as you said, this is a new chapter.
I didn’t really have time to really enjoy what happens when you turn 40 but so far, I’m just living my new life here in America over the last five weeks!
But I’m looking forward to getting back to Spain next week and seeing my family.”

WAS IT FIVE WEEKS SINCE THE LAST TIME YOU WERE ABLE TO BE HOME?

“Yes. We flew here on June 18 so it’s already five-and-a-half weeks if not more.
I’ve lost track of that! For sure it’s the longest amount of time I’ve been away from my family and kids. Luckily, we’ve had good results to go with that and show the kids some trophies! But yeah, it’s been tough. My kids are six and four at least I didn’t miss their birthdays!
Luckily my oldest had a birthday right before I left Spain, so at least I managed to be there for that. I’m looking forward to getting back.”

TALK ABOUT THE DIFFERENCE IN DYNAMIC WHEN YOU’RE RACING YOUR TEAMMATE FOR A WIN COMPARED TO A BMW OR PORSCHE.
HOW MUCH RISK DO YOU TAKE?

“For sure you need to be more careful than when you fight another manufacturer.
The car was feeling really good and I just kept doing my job. I knew I was closing up to Tommy (Milner) and I’d get to him with almost no laps left in the race.

Fighting your own car is probably the worst because your weakness is their weakness, and you don’t have anything on top of the other car, whereas you might when you fight another manufacturer.
We might find ourselves in that situation again later on the year, but this is what Corvette Racing wants. I hope we can fight more in those positions and I hope for it to be the other way around and defending from the 4 Corvette.
It felt nice to be chasing the leader and it being a teammate.”

AT ROAD AMERICA, WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FROM THE SETUP AND IT IS IT IN THE CAR’S WHEELHOUSE FROM WHAT YOU’VE SEEN?

“As Jordan said earlier, tire degradation is always a key thing at Road America.
This new Corvette should be a little bit better on that compared to the C7.R. Porsche was strong last year and they obviously are going to be strong again.
At Sebring, they showed really good pace behind us. With BMW getting a break, it will be difficult to fight them.
That will create different speeds at different parts of the track where each car will be strong. We will see where everything lines up, but for sure that should be interesting.”

JORDAN TAYLOR, NO. 3 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C8.R

TALK ABOUT THE MOMENTUM YOU AND ANTONIO HAVE GOING INTO ROAD AMERICA AND LEADING THE GTLM CHAMPIONSHIP.

“It’s amazing that we’ve come out so strong after the quarantine period. No one really knew what to expect after being off months; it was longer than a normal off season without any real testing or racing.
Everyone went in with that unexpected feel. It shows a lot for what Corvette Racing is about and the preparation it does behind the scenes.
Even though no one could go to the race shop, the engineers were working from home and made huge strides on the C8.R and doing development on it from home.

We went back to Daytona and obviously had a good race there with the win and then went back to Sebring where we were able to do a two-day test there before the quarantine and one simulator test when that period opened back up.

For us it was an unknown for us because it was the first non-Daytona track where we were competing against all the other teams. Daytona is so unique in that you can stack up well at that track and have that not be relevant anywhere else. So it was promising that we were able to get the pole.
The car was amazing all race weekend, and I think we’ve shown we can be competitive on all different kinds of tracks. I’m really looking for this one at Road America.”

ANY UPDATES ON YOUR EFFORTS TO RUN NASCAR ON THE DAYTONA ROAD COURSE?

“Nope, I’m still in the same spot. I’ve tried for the past six or seven years. I had a close relationship with Childress for six years in running their engines in prototypes and having a lot of success with them.
Unfortunately nothing worked out in any of these years but I’m still trying. It would be nice. Like Antonio said, it would be risky now with no practice but anytime an opportunity comes up to do one of the road courses then it would be a lot of fun.”

WE’VE SEEN THE BOP COME OUT FOR ROAD AMERICA. ARE YOU CONCERNED ABOUT THE BMWs IN PARTICULAR?
THEY SEEM TO HAVE GOTTEN QUITE A BREAK IN BOTH POWER AND WEIGHT.

“Road America is definitely a power track, so I think that will be pretty major when we go there.
We saw at the Rolex that they had a pretty big power advantage where they were able to drive around most competitors. I’m not sure where their loss of performance was at the Daytona and Sebring sprint races compared to the Rolex but going to Road America that change should benefit them.

I feel like we had a good car over the long run as well at Sebring. Road America often has a big tire degradation part to it, so for us that could be a big part of the race strategy-wise. I have a lot of faith regardless in everyone at Corvette Racing.”

DO YOU THINK PORSCHE WOULD BE YOUR STRONGEST COMPETITOR OR THE BMW?
OR IS IT TOO EARLY TO SAY?

“It’s too early to say. For us in the Corvette, as Antonio said we tested a couple of years ago at Road America with this car. At Sebring we were able to test, and obviously we had a lot of laps at Daytona. Road America is a new one for us and we are going in open-minded with a bit of an unknown.
Friday will be a big test for us.”

AFTER THE POLE RUN AT SEBRING, THERE WAS SOME CROSSOVER BETWEEN THE GTLM CARS AND THE TAIL-END OF THE P2 FIELD WITH SOME LESS-EXPERIENCED DRIVERS STARTING THAT RACE.
HOW FRUSTRATING WAS THAT, AND HOW CAN YOU MANAGE THAT ANY DIFFERENTLY IF YOU’RE ON POLE AGAIN?

“It’s definitely frustrating. We qualified within a second of the back two guys in P2. As soon as I saw that result, I talked to Beaux (Barfield, IMSA Race Director) to see what we could do or even separate the field a little bit not even have separate starts but get a gap, but he said we couldn’t do that. I knew someone was going to take a risk to try and pass one of those P2s at the start.

I was hoping to get one going into Turn One but he was able to carry a bit more speed into the corner but braked very early for Turn Three, which bottled me up and allowed two guys to get by me. It’s definitely frustrating but at the same time they’re out there having fun and supporting the sport and helping it grow. But it would be nice if there was some separation or a way to get around that issue.”

WHEN YOU WERE RUNNING WITH YOUR BROTHER FOR YOUR DAD’S TEAM, YOU ALWAYS RAN WELL AT ROAD AMERICA BUT SOMETHING ALWAYS HAPPENED TO KEEP YOU FROM VICTORY.
WHAT WOULD IT MEAN TO YOU TO GET THAT WIN AT ROAD AMERICA WITH CORVETTE?

“I’d definitely like it. The sad part with Wayne Taylor Racing is that one of our mechanics who had worked with my dad since the early 1990s and still does the driver changes had never won at Road America, either.
That was always a big one on our list every year the Rolex 24, Sebring, Petit Le Mans with Road America up there to get him that win.
We finished on the podium a few times, and a lot of those were fuel mileage races that never worked out. Looking at the last two races for Corvette, we’ve had pace and strategy on our side.
I have a lot of confidence going in there.
The BoP will be interesting to see how it plays out, but also having Antonio in the car is something I couldn’t ask much more going into it.”

TRADITIONALLY THIS RACE FALLS IN THE STRETCH RUN OF THE CHAMPIONSHIP. IT’S A LITTLE DIFFERENT THIS TIME AROUND.
DOES THAT CHANGE THE DYNAMIC AND APPROACH?

“For me, it’s been a bit different for me in GTLM already. With how close the points are, you can’t afford to take a big risk.
There are few cars so if there is a big points swing, it’s hard to gather that back.
Maybe running these consistent finishes and going for podiums is a smart way to go. If you take a risk and end up sixth, the points swing to the guys you’re racing for the championship with is pretty big and hard to claw back.
For us, we have to race smart and take the wins if they are falling their way but not fight for a victory if it’s not in the cards and is too risky.”

DO YOU TYPICALLY ALWAYS FIND YOURSELF IN A SITUATION WHERE ONE DRIVER IS SAVING FUEL SO THE OTHER CAN GO,
OR ARE YOU BOTH SAVING FUEL SO AT THE RIGHT TIME EITHER ONE CAN GO?

“At Daytona we saved a lot of fuel on the 3 car side and the 4 went on a different strategy and obviously it fell our way. If there had been a yellow late in the race, it would have gone the 4 team’s way.
That’s kind of how we play it inside the team, where the engineers are communicating during the race what we want to do. At Sebring in that first stint when I was running third, I wasn’t going to be able to pass anyone so I did my own fuel savings. When I was out front, I did a little bit less to maintain the lead. Depending on where you are on track position, you run it a bit different.
We’ve seen already this year how important fuel saving can be; we’ve seen that here and the last couple of years in IndyCar how powerful a fuel-saving stint can be.

“Thankfully we have a lot of smart guys in the pit lane who can do a lot of that for us. As a driver, you can do it as well when you’re in traffic.
The drivability from the engine and the other work from the engineers during the quarantine period showed big results of performance gains not just in speed but also in efficiency.”

Team ZR-1
True Custom Performance Tuning
Teamzr1.com
Team ZR-1 Store
Enter Here
#4804 - 07/29/20 03:39 PM Re: IMSA ROAD AMERICA This Weekend [Re: teamzr1]  
teamzr1 Offline
Owner - Pays the bills
teamzr1  Offline
Owner - Pays the bills
Lives in Engine Bay

America
IMSA SPORTSCAR WEEKEND-ROAD AMERICA
July 31-August 2, 2020 Elkhart Lake, WI

Track: Road America
Race Duration: 2 hours 40 minutes Circuit Length: 4 miles

Entry by Class:
LMP2 (4)
DPI (8)
GT Le Mans (6)
GT Daytona (13)

Live Streaming: http://imsatv.imsa.com/
Qualifying: Saturday, August 1, 2020

1:50 pm - 2:05 pm Qualifying - WeatherTech Championship (GTD)
2:15 pm - 2:30 pm Qualifying - WeatherTech Championship (GTLM)
2:40 pm - 2:55 pm Qualifying - WeatherTech Championship (LMP2/DPI)

Television & Online Broadcast
TV: 12:00 PM -3:00 PM ET Sunday, NBC
Online Coverage IMSA.com (includes live images, in-car cameras and announcers)
http://imsatv.imsa.com/

Live Timing for mobile device:
http://scoring.imsa.com/mobile.html

Radio: IMSA Radio

1) Streaming on IMSA TV
http://imsatv.imsa.com/
http://radiolemans.0157.org/nplayer.php
2) Scanner frequency 454.000
3) XM 202
4) SiriusXM Online 972
5) local 87.7 FM

PIT NOTES:
http://twitter.com/ @CorvetteRacing, @IMSA, @IMSAlive, @roadamerica

Event Schedule: https://www.imsa.com/wp-content/uplo...ica-072220.pdf

https://www.roadamerica.com/imsa-sportscar-weekend

Spotters Guide: http://www.spotterguides.com/

Road America BoP BoP

Track/Facility Maps: http://www.roadamerica.com/maps.html

WEATHER: http://www.weather.com/weather/tenda...ke+WI+USWI0218

HOTELS: http://www.roadamerica.com/plan-your-trip.html

Team ZR-1
Teamzr1.com
#4808 - 07/31/20 03:37 PM Re: IMSA ROAD AMERICA This Weekend [Re: teamzr1]  
teamzr1 Offline
Owner - Pays the bills
teamzr1  Offline
Owner - Pays the bills
Lives in Engine Bay

America
After first practice

Attached Files gtlmp1.jpg

Team ZR-1
Teamzr1.com
#4809 - 08/01/20 12:36 PM Re: IMSA ROAD AMERICA This Weekend [Re: teamzr1]  
teamzr1 Offline
Owner - Pays the bills
teamzr1  Offline
Owner - Pays the bills
Lives in Engine Bay

America
Qualify completed and how the GTLMs will start Road America race Sunday

Attached Files Qgtlm.jpg

Team ZR-1
Teamzr1.com
#4810 - 08/01/20 03:23 PM Re: IMSA ROAD AMERICA This Weekend [Re: teamzr1]  
teamzr1 Offline
Owner - Pays the bills
teamzr1  Offline
Owner - Pays the bills
Lives in Engine Bay

America
CORVETTE RACING AT ROAD AMERICA: Second, Third in GTLM Qualifying
Taylor, Gavin put in strong showings behind wheel of mid-engine Corvette C8.R

C8.R Corvette Racing will roll off second and third in the GT Le Mans (GTLM) category of the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship for Sunday’s fourth round of the series at Road America.

Jordan Taylor & Oliver Gavin were the fastest qualifiers in the pair of mid-engine Mobil 1/SiriusXM Chevrolet Corvette C8.Rs in Saturday’s 15-minute qualifying session.
Taylor set a lap of 2:00.854 (120.581 mph) in the No. 3 Corvette followed closely by Gavin in the No. 4 C8.R with a lap of 2:00.904 (120.531 mph).
Both were slightly behind pole-winner Laurens Vanthoor but very much on pace around the 4.048-mile, 14-turn road course.

Corvette Racing is on a two-race winning streak in the class. Championship leaders Taylor and Antonio Garcia won a month ago at Daytona following a lengthy break due to the COVD-19 pandemic, followed by a victory for Gavin and Tommy Milner two weeks ago at Sebring.

The team has seven victories at Road America, and Corvette Racing held its first on-track test of the C8.R at the circuit in 2018.

The 2020 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray will serve as Official Pace Car for the IMSA rounds of the WeatherTech Championship and Michelin Pilot Challenge at Road America. Named by MotorTrend as 2020 Car of the Year, the 2020 Stingray is Chevrolet’s first mid-engine production Corvette.
It features a 6.2-liter V8 engine with an output of 495hp, goes from 0-60 mph in less than three seconds and achieves a top speed of 194 mph.

Both the Corvette Stingray and Corvette C8.R were developed simultaneously with a deeper level of technology transfer between the race car and a production Corvette than ever before, which helps contribute to many of its advancements.
As a result, the C8.R shares the highest percentage of parts between the production and race car than any previous generation.

The IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship at Road America is scheduled for 12:05 p.m. ET on Sunday with live network coverage on NBC plus streaming options on the NBC Sports App. IMSA Radio will broadcast the race on XM 202, SiriusXM Online 972 and at IMSA.com, which also will host live timing and scoring.

JORDAN TAYLOR, NO. 3 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C8.R – QUALIFIED SECOND IN GTLM:

“It was a good day. It wasn’t the smoothest that we’ve had all year but we got good direction on the car this morning with what we wanted to do for changes ahead of qualifying.
Those showed really well, and the Corvette was really nice to drive.
We’re still using this as a little bit of a test session as we haven’t tested here before with these cars. There are a few more areas where we can make some improvements and gains for the race.
But to be second and third today is a good start. We’re not sure where everyone is on tire strategy, and once again it looks like it could rain again. It’ll be good and it’s good to start up front. This is a tough place to race with all the traffic and how narrow it is, but that’s what makes it exciting.”

OLIVER GAVIN, NO. 4 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C8.R – QUALIFIED THIRD IN GTLM:

“It was a tight session. Certainly we were looking to maximize everything that we had taken from the final practice with our Corvette.
We knew we needed to improve a little bit in some spots.
We worked away on it and did make some improvements, but also the track conditions had changed a little so we were chasing that somewhat as well as some of the changes we made.
The qualifying session was very close. Tomorrow’s race will very much be a story of tires.
That will all unfold in those first few laps to see where we stack up with our competition.
Plus most likely there will be some rain at some point. Whether it comes during the race or not, we will see.

Everyone at Corvette Racing is quietly confident. The Corvette has been competitive the last couple of races.
This race tomorrow will be hard, but we have the best team on the pit lane a great car in the C8.R.
We will be ready.”

Team ZR-1
Teamzr1.com
#4811 - 08/01/20 05:34 PM Re: IMSA ROAD AMERICA This Weekend [Re: teamzr1]  
teamzr1 Offline
Owner - Pays the bills
teamzr1  Offline
Owner - Pays the bills
Lives in Engine Bay

America
For all its IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship success, the Porsche GT Team hasn’t encountered much recently in GT Le Mans (GTLM) qualifying at historic Road America.

Laurens Vanthoor put an end to that drought Saturday, taking the class pole position with an on-the-edge lap of 2 minutes, 0.590 seconds (120.845 mph) in the No. 912 Porsche 911 RSR-19.

It’s the first time a Porsche has qualified atop the chart in hotly contested GTLM in five years.
That came compliments of Vanthoor’s teammate, Earl Bamber, in 2015.
"I think qualifying here is always joyful for the drivers," said Vanthoor, who racked up his third career IMSA pole.
"Everyone knows the track and it’s always challenging.
"We weren’t really happy with how things were going with FP2 and the qualifying sims, so we did a little bit of brainstorming after that.
Obviously, it shows our engineering did the right decisions. The car was good.

We were struggling a little bit in the first couple of laps with the brake bias that I had to adjust with the track conditions. Luckily, I was able to get it sorted and managed to pull a good lap, and was able to get on pole."

The GTLM field is tightly packed again, with the six entries separated by just over seven-tenths of a second.

Corvette Racing’s C8.Rs qualified second and third, with Jordan Taylor in the No. 3 (2:00.854, 120.581 mph) a tick of the watch quicker than Oliver Gavin in the No. 4 (2:00.904, 120.531 mph).

The BMW Team RLL duo came next. Bruno Spengler qualified fourth in the No. 25 BMW M8 GTE at 2:01.155 (120.281 mph) and Jesse Krohn was fifth in the No. 24 BMW at 2:01.202 (120.235 mph). Fred Makowiecki put the No. 911 Porsche in sixth with a best lap of 2:01.305 (120.133 mph).

GTLM polesitter Vanthoor now turns his sights to ending another five-year drought for Porsche at Road America – getting to victory lane. With the new Porsche 911 RSR-19 under them, Vanthoor believes he and Bamber can make it happen.

"This car is a new car compared to the old one," Vanthoor said.
"It asks as well for a slightly different driving style. Earl and myself thought it would suit this track; apparently it does.
We know that Road America is hard on the tires, so that will be another crucial part that, honestly, I think we’ll be good (at managing).
"The race seems to be a lot more in the ballpark than we have in the last couple of years."

Team ZR-1
Teamzr1.com
#4812 - 08/02/20 12:01 PM Re: IMSA ROAD AMERICA This Weekend [Re: teamzr1]  
teamzr1 Offline
Owner - Pays the bills
teamzr1  Offline
Owner - Pays the bills
Lives in Engine Bay

America
The #3 C8.R Corvette of Jordan Taylor passed Porsche’s polesitter Laurens Vanthoor on the opening lap, while the BMW M8s jumped the second Corvette of Oliver Gavin to claim third and fourth.

Yet by Lap 6, the BMWs were already almost 3sec adrift of the #912 Porsche, and clearly holding up Gavin and the #911 Porsche of Frederic Makowiecki.
After a dozen laps, and having moved aside for the Prototypes for the first time, Taylor found Vanthoor filling his mirrors and it took only a couple of laps before the Porsche got ahead when the ’Vette ran wide at Turn 7.
Taylor would also drop behind Spengler’s BMW.

Teammate Gavin had been struggling from the start, IMSA Radio reporting that an electronics glitch was messing with the #4 car’s traction control.
Taylor pitted on Lap 19 and handed off to Antonio Garcia, while out on track, Makowiecki passed the BMW of Jesse Krohn for what was now third place.

Once all the pit stops had shaken out, Earl Bamber now in the #912 Porsche was leading ahead of Garcia, with Connor De Phillippi now installed in the #25 BMW in third ahead of Nick Tandy in the #911 Porsche, John Edwards in the #24 BMW & Tommy Milner in the #4 Corvette.
Soon Tandy would have to cede fourth to Edwards.
Garcia in second had fallen 15sec behind leader Bamber by the time he made a second stop with 75mins to go, but for the second time there was a delay, this time due to a faulty wheel gun.

However, Corvette Racing’s chances took an upturn when Bamber who like Jarvis, had tried to stay out an extra lap on slicks as the rain dumped heavily around the track couldn’t stop for Turn 1 and skated across the sand trap and into a tire wall, bringing out the full-course caution and ultimately the red as the rain worsened.

When it went yellow before the restart, Tandy was out in front but on slicks and needing a fuel stop so when the pits opened, he ducked in as did Milner and De Phillippi (who had a loose wheel).

That left John Edwards’ #24 BMW M8 in the lead of the class with Garcia in second, but on the final lap Edwards and 3rd place Tandy both went off at The Kink, leaving Garcia and Milner to take a remarkable 1-2 for Corvette, with Edwards coming home third ahead of Tandy who never actually saw the checkered flag and Bamber.

Attached Files endgtlm.jpg

Team ZR-1
Teamzr1.com
#4814 - 08/02/20 02:03 PM Re: IMSA ROAD AMERICA This Weekend [Re: teamzr1]  
teamzr1 Offline
Owner - Pays the bills
teamzr1  Offline
Owner - Pays the bills
Lives in Engine Bay

America
Antonio Garcia and Jordan Taylor led a 1-2 finish for Corvette Racing in the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship following a chaotic finish at Road America on Sunday.

It is the first victory for both drivers of the No. 3 Mobil 1/SiriusXM Chevrolet Corvette C8.R in IMSA competition at Road America, and they extended their lead in the GT Le Mans (GTLM) Drivers Championship.

JORDAN TAYLOR, NO. 3 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C8.R – GTLM RACE-WINNER:

“I was happy I wasn’t in the car at the end!
It looked pretty miserable, especially on that lap before it went yellow. It looked like at the Kink that it had started pouring again.
I don’t know if the BMW and Porsche got that message, and our guys relayed that to Antonio and thankfully he was able to tip-toe through there and make it through for the win.
It’s proof that Corvette Racing never gives up, even when we were down-and-out a bit there in the middle. We never gave up.

“Our race went to a three-stop race strategy pretty early on.
The way we were track-position wise, we saw the rain before the other guys and were able to duck in the pits before it went yellow for the first time.
It was a great call and Antonio did a great job to survive the conditions and bring home another 1-2 finish for the Corvette C8.R.”

ANTONIO GARCIA, NO. 3 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C8.R – GTLM RACE-WINNER:

“Finally!
It took me forever to win here. How wild was that?
I don’t know how I got through the Kink there.
From the Carousel, (Nick) Tandy and I were navigating and we had to go around the GTD cars their leaders probably.
I was risking a lot and obviously Nick was risking a lot too, as I saw later on.
I don’t know how I made it through and I saw the 24 spinning too. It was just amazing.
Obviously the Corvette C8.R navigates as well, too!
We will take it. Another Corvette 1-2 today is just awesome!”

Team ZR-1
Teamzr1.com
#4815 - 08/02/20 02:10 PM Re: IMSA ROAD AMERICA This Weekend [Re: teamzr1]  
teamzr1 Offline
Owner - Pays the bills
teamzr1  Offline
Owner - Pays the bills
Lives in Engine Bay

America
Porsche’s ownership of GTLM met its end as Bamber went for a wild hydroplaning ride entering Turn 1. Bamber’s big advantage in GTLM was traded for a spinning trip through the gravel where his 911 RSR lightly nudged the tire barrier. Although the Porsche was largely undamaged, Bamber was left stuck in the gravel. Losing two laps during the extrication process, the 911 RSR would go from the lead to finishing next-to-last in class.

But all hope was not lost for Porsche as the sister entry was in position to take the lead and keep that first win in sight as the race went from red to green. BMW Team RLL’s John Edwards had something different in mind, however, and drove his BMW M8 GTE to the front of GTLM as Tandy fell to third behind the Corvette of Antonio Garcia.

The presence of Garcia in second was a particular surprise. A brutal pit stop on Lap 40 dropped the car from second to sixth and last in GTLM when a series of wheel gun issues left the C8.R sitting stationary on pit lane as a replacement gun was gathered to tighten the left-front wheel.

An apparent issue with the replacement gun added more time to the stop when it was time to change the right-front tire.
With the right-rear wheel gun retrieved from the back of the pit stall, the right-front Michelin was secured and Garcia charged out of the box with a need to re-do all of the work he and Taylor had completed.
Once more, rain helped to shuffle the GTLM cars, and with the Corvette holding second, a trouble at the nearly flooded Kink resulted in BMW’s Edwards and Porsche’s Tandy flying off the circuit, which promoted Garcia to the lead and the sister Corvette of Tommy Milner and Oliver Gavin to second.

In an instant, BMW’s grasp on an out-of-nowhere win disappeared and Corvette Racing captured its third straight 1-2 finish.
A frustrated Edwards was able to get the M8 GTE turned around and drive it across the finish line in third.

Corvette Takes 1-2 Finish After BMW Spin

Antonio Garcia and Jordan Taylor scored their second class victory in the last three races following a crazy conclusion to the GT Le Mans battle, in a 1-2 finish for Corvette Racing.

Corvette has now won three races in a row with its new-for-2020 mid-engined Chevrolet Corvette C8.R.

Garcia crossed the line ahead of the No. 4 Corvette of Tommy Milner after an accident for the class-leading No. 24 BMW M8 GTE of John Edwards on the second-to-last lap.

Edwards and the No. 911 Porsche 911 RSR-19 of Nick Tandy were involved in the incident in the Kink, which ultimately forced the race to end under caution.

It came after Tandy inherited the class due to sticking on slicks through the yellow-turned-red period, although the Englishman pitted for full service once action resumed.

The pole-sitting No. 912 Porsche of Laurens Vanthoor and Earl Bamber dominated the race prior to the downpour which saw the Kiwi lose control on the front-straight and slide into the Turn 1 barriers.

The No. 24 BMW of Edwards and Jesse Krohn was still classified as third place finishers in class.

Team ZR-1
Teamzr1.com
#4816 - 08/02/20 03:46 PM Re: IMSA ROAD AMERICA This Weekend [Re: teamzr1]  
teamzr1 Offline
Owner - Pays the bills
teamzr1  Offline
Owner - Pays the bills
Lives in Engine Bay

America
ELKHART LAKE, Wis. Corvette Racing took its second consecutive 1-2 finish in the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship’s GT Le Mans (GTLM class) following a chaotic finish Sunday at Road America. Antonio Garcia and Jordan Taylor won for the second time in their No. 3 Mobil 1/SiriusXM Chevrolet Corvette C8.R following a late-race pass in torrential rain.

Oliver Gavin and Tommy Milner placed second in the sister No. 4 Corvette C8.R.
It was the eighth victory at Road America for Corvette Racing, and the team’s first there since 2016.
Garcia and Taylor both won for the first time in their IMSA career at Road America and extended their points lead to 10 in the class.
Gavin and Milner unofficially moved to third in the standings.

Chevrolet also grew its lead in the GTLM Manufacturer’s Championship to eight points. Corvette Racing has now won three consecutive races in the category.

Things weren’t looking positive for the first half of the race. Taylor, who qualified second, led early but the expected tire degradation reduced the pace for the GTLM cars.

Adding to the problems for the team were electronics issues on the No. 4 Corvette that left both Gavin and Milner without traction control.

The predicted rain for the race came with just under an hour to go. Garcia, who took over with two hours left in the race, was the first GTLM runner to pit for rain tires and stopped from sixth place.
Two other GTLM cars followed suit but three others stayed out, including the then-leading Porsche which skidded off-track during a downpour at Turn One.

Milner remained on slick tires during the first deluge as officials halted the race with 43 minutes left. The rain let up initially before cars returned to the track with about 25 minutes to go once the red flag was lifted.
Following the final pit stops for wet tires, racing resumed with seven minutes left and Garcia in second place.

An even more intense rain began to fall with just minutes left in the two-hour, 40-minute race. Garcia was locked in a back-and-forth duel with Porsche’s Nick Tandy just before the GTLM leader and the third-place Porsche went off-track late in the lap.
Both Garcia and Milner, who did a masterful job on a wet track with no traction control, were able to get through the chaos and took the checkered flag under a race-ending, full-course caution period.

Corvette Racing’s next event is the GT-only Michelin GT Challenge at Virginia International Raceway on Saturday, Aug. 22.

ANTONIO GARCIA, NO. 3 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C8.R – GTLM RACE-WINNER:

“It was super tough. Because of the wave-by, we were at the back of all the GTD cars. So the spray we had back there was amazing. It was impossible to see anything.
The first thing was to go by a couple of LMP2 cars while fighting (Nick) Tandy to catch up to the 24 BMW. It was a very intense three laps. I knew from Sebring practice that the Corvette C8.R was really good in the wet, even if today was beyond wet!
I had Nick all over me, and we had many times when we were together almost just sailing together instead of racing together
. I knew the Carousel and the Kink were going to be really bad, and the line I took on the previous lap seemed to work. Luckily enough for me it was the same and I was one of the few cars to make it through. It’s another 1-2 finish for Corvette Racing, which is amazing. It’s finally my first victory at Road America, so it’s been a very good weekend.”

WHAT DID YOU SEE OF THE BMW AHEAD OF YOU? DID HE SPIN ON HIS OWN?

“The Carousel and the Kink were almost impossible to go through that part of the track.
There is really nothing you can do there. It depends on the depth of the water. The Corvette C8.R survived it better than the rest. I don’t know if it was due to the race line I took.
I was following the car behind me and saw the BMW lose control. The race still wasn’t done because I had to do another lap through there. It’s a credit to how good the C8.R is in the wet. Thanks to everyone at Team Chevy because this car seems to be working in all conditions.”

HOW IMPORTANT IS THIS WIN TO EXTEND YOUR POINTS LEAD?

“We didn’t know starting the season how the C8.R would be. With the fourth at Daytona, we saw the potential of the car.
Our team did a great job during the shutdown with fixing things that needed to be corrected.
We’ve had a chance to win the last three races, and we’ve converted those. We need to keep putting pressure on everyone and make the rest of the field make mistakes.
On our own, we need to be their in the end and maximize our points opportunities. The next one is VIR, where we have tested with the new Corvette. We will do what we can to keep this momentum and carrying on winning.”

JORDAN TAYLOR, NO. 3 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C8.R – GTLM RACE-WINNER:
“It was a wild day very unexpected. The race started off strong for us.
We took a different strategy to go with three stops from the beginning. Thankfully it worked out well with the timing the rain and track position.
Antonio never gave up. It was a tough fight in tough conditions, but he did a great job of surviving for our second win of the year and third of the year for Corvette Racing.”

THIS RACE WAS ON THE NATIONAL NBC NETWORK. WAS THIS THE KIND OF EXCITEMENT THAT WAS GOOD FOR NETWORK TV?

“It had a bit of everything. The start for me was exciting, and the battles were all good. I could see on the big screen across the front stretch that the prototype battle was often exciting and had a little bit of everything with the strategies.
The weather was a bit different for those who probably turn into NBC for NASCAR where they wouldn’t run in the rain.
There were probably too many crashes for everyone’s liking, but the show was very exciting with the battle for the win at the end.
You like to see that between the manufacturers.”

TALK ABOUT WINNING ON THE SAME DAY AS YOUR BROTHER (RICKY TAYLOR):

“It’s definitely cool. I think this is the first time we’ve won on the same weekend.
I know we’ve gotten a pole on the same weekend, but in all the years a win has never gone both our ways.
It was cool to watch their battle at the end with the 10 car. I know my dad’s team hasn’t won here either, and we tried hard for many years.”

OLIVER GAVIN, NO. 4 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C8.R – FINISHED SECOND IN GTLM:

“I take my hat off to the team every time for never giving up. It didn’t look like we were going to be finishing that high up in the dry.
But as we all know, there was a chance of rain all around. In this part of the world when the rain comes, it comes big. You just have to take you chances and make the right calls at the right time.
We got a little lucky with a few things, and ultimately the No. 3 Corvette made the right choice on the right tires at the right time. We didn’t quite get that break or make that decision at that time.

But then as all the pit stops cycled through for that last restart, we knew we just had to flat-out race. Our car was compromised a little as we didn’t have any traction control as part of an electrical issue throughout the entire race that we couldn’t really get on top of it. I fought it all during my stints.
I honestly don’t know how Tommy kept the car on the track when he driving around on slick tires behind the safety car.
I mean water that was three or four inches deep on slick tires with no TC was amazing.

For us to come away, even with all the stuff that happened, with a one-two finish is pretty spectacular. Hats off to the team and the crew and also to the C8.R. It seems like it is a car that can live through some crazy circumstances and conditions on track and deals with it. It’s a very fine car.”

TOMMY MILNER, NO. 4 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C8.R – FINISHED SECOND IN GTLM:

“That was absolutely wild.
We had kind of a tough day to start with, but it came back pretty well for us there at the end.
Credit to the guys with their never-give-up attitude that Corvette Racing is famous for definitely paid off today.
The conditions were unbelievably difficult. The call to stay out there on slicks just before the full-course yellow was just as much mine as it was the engineers.

I thought it was the right thing to do to run one more lap to see how bad the rain was going to be. And it ended up being almost biblical in the amount of rain that came.
In all the races I’ve done, this has been the most rain I’ve ever seen come down at one time.
It was hard enough just keeping it on the track under yellow with slicks, and it was bad enough when it was still green just trying to survive. Then it went red flag so we had the opportunity to come in and change it to rain tires.
That in itself was difficult. For me I knew I just needed to get to pit lane and survive.
That was the name of the game there and see what happened at the end. Once we went green, it was the most difficult conditions I have ever driven in my life with the amount of spray and with traffic and having so many cars around.
At times it felt like I was driving blind. I could have closed my eyes and would have had the same amount of visibility at that point. I just tried to use very bit of muscle memory and track knowledge I could as to where the track goes at certain points. In the end, luckily we just survived with a first and second for the team.
The day didn’t start out well, but it ended as well as it could.”

(Not having traction control) “Because I didn’t have it from the time I got in the car, I had to manage it from the start.
In the dry, it’s definitely difficult because you are trying to not use the rear tires too much. I felt like I did a decent job in that first run but driving in the wet without it makes it that much more difficult.
To be honest, the Corvette felt really good in the wet. Even though we don’t have a lot of time in the wet, the guys made the right call with tire pressure.
When the Michelin wet tires are new, they’re really good. That gave me the confidence early on to really push, get through traffic, and trust in the car and tire to find the fastest way around.”

Team ZR-1
Teamzr1.com
#4817 - 08/02/20 03:52 PM Re: IMSA ROAD AMERICA This Weekend [Re: teamzr1]  
teamzr1 Offline
Owner - Pays the bills
teamzr1  Offline
Owner - Pays the bills
Lives in Engine Bay

America
Even the drenching wrath of Mother Nature couldn’t prevent the hottest team in IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship GT Le Mans (GTLM) competition from continuing its winning ways.

In Sunday’s headlining event at the IMSA SportsCar Weekend at Road America that finished in a drenching downpour, Corvette Racing collected a 1-2 finish. Jordan Taylor and Antonio Garcia drove to victory in the No. 3 Corvette Racing Chevrolet Corvette C8.R, with Oliver Gavin and Tommy Milner bringing the sister No. 4 Corvette home in second place.

It marked the third straight Corvette win in 2020 competition and second straight 1-2 finish, though the positions were reversed two weeks ago at Sebring International Raceway.

Taylor and Garcia started strong and finished smart, earning the 102nd Corvette win in IMSA history.
Taylor got the jump at the green flag on GTLM pole sitter Laurens Vanthoor in the No. 912 Porsche GT Team Porsche 911 RSR-19 to grab the lead and hold it for the first 30 minutes on the high-speed road course in Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin.

Vanthoor passed Taylor for the lead on Lap 15 and it looked like the Porsche’s day.
That changed as quickly as the Wisconsin weather, however.
Rain began falling around the 4.048-mile circuit with 55 minutes remaining in the two-hour, 40-minute race.
Soon after, GTLM competitors Earl Bamber in the No. 912 Porsche and Connor De Phillippi in the No. 25 BMW Team RLL BMW M8 GTE were among cars spinning off course to bring out a full-course caution.

Heavy rain, hail and lightning then arrived, forcing all cars to pit lane under red-flag conditions.
Following a 21-minute hold, the race resumed under a full-course caution to allow a cycle of pit stops. When the green flag waved with 7:35 on the clock, John Edwards led GTLM in the No. 24 BMW, with Garcia in the No. 3 and Nick Tandy in the No. 911 Porsche on his heels.

Amid the skirmish in the wet with limited visibility on the white-flag lap, both Edwards and Tandy went off course and Garcia sneaked through to take the checkered flag. It marked IMSA win No. 18 for the Spaniard.

"It was a very, very intense (last) three laps," admitted Garcia, who notched his first Road America triumph.
"I knew from Sebring practice that the C8.R was really, really good in the wet, even if today was more than wet.
I had Tandy all over me; we had many, many times where we were alongside and kind of sailing together instead of racing together.

"I knew the Carousel and the Kink was really bad, like going into a swimming pool. I took the line I took on the previous lap and it seemed to work while defending from Tandy.
At some point while I was full off to the left, I saw the 24 (Edwards) spinning by himself very, very slowly.

"I was probably one of the few cars that made it through and luckily enough Tommy did the same, so another 1-2 for Corvette Racing, which is amazing. My first victory at Road America, finally!"

Taylor picked up his 22nd career win and added a first by winning on the same day in a different car as his brother Ricky, who took the overall and Daytona Prototype international (DPi) win with Helio Castroneves in the No. 7 Acura Team Penske Acura ARX-05.

"It was a wild day, very unexpected," Jordan Taylor said. "The race started out strong. We took a different strategy with the three stops at the beginning and thankfully that turned out to work well in timing with the rain, and track-position-wise.

"Antonio never gave up. It was a tough fight in the tough conditions, but he survived when he needed to survive and he pressured the 24 when he needed to."

GTLM is in action again Saturday, August 22 in the Michelin GT Challenge at VIR. The race streams live at 1:35 p.m. ET on TrackPass on NBC Sports Gold and IMSA.tv.

Team ZR-1
Teamzr1.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  teamzr1 

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 3 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
What's New
Teammate Jason does 140 MPH in standing 1/2 mile
by teamzr1. 03/25/24 06:05 AM
C8 Corvette Convertible Water Leak
by teamzr1. 03/21/24 11:41 AM
IMSA 12 Hours of Sebring 2024
by teamzr1. 03/14/24 07:15 PM
No warranty Flipped Z06 now needs costly repairs
by teamzr1. 03/14/24 02:29 PM
Corvette Racing History
by teamzr1. 03/13/24 03:34 PM