Page 1 of 2 1 2
#5198 - 08/02/21 03:49 PM C8.R - ROAD AMERICA / IMSA SPORTSCAR WEEKEND  
teamzr1 Online happy
Owner - Pays the bills
teamzr1  Online Happy
Owner - Pays the bills
Lives in Engine Bay

America
Corvette Racing drivers Jordan Taylor and Tommy Milner met with members of the media during a Zoom conference call Monday ahead of this weekend’s IMSA SportsCar Weekend at Road America and the upcoming 24 Hours of Le Mans.

JORDAN TAYLOR, NO. 3 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C8.R

IT’S A BUSY MONTH COMING UP AHEAD FOR THE TEAM. WHAT’S YOUR MINDSET AHEAD OF EVERYTHING FOR CORVETTE RACING?

“It’s going to be a busy month, as you said. It’ll be hectic.
I think the biggest part is logistics for the team getting parts, cars and people back and forth between the two. They’ve been shipping stuff for the past couple of months overseas to get ready for Le Mans.
Timing-wise, it’s difficult having Road America this weekend but at the same time it’s always good to go racing.

It was a 1-2 last year for Corvette Racing but it was pretty wild circumstances at the end there with the rain.
I think Antonio (Garcia) and Tommy were fourth and fifth on the last restart and survived at the end to get the 1-2.

Hopefully it will be a little cleaner and smoother this year. It’s always been a good track for the team and the car. We did a test there earlier this year kind of prepping for this week’s race and prepping for Le Mans in the low-downforce kit. We feel confident going back there and to Le Mans.”

CORVETTE RACING’S ABSENCE FROM LE MANS LAST YEAR WAS STRANGE. HOW WAS IT FOR YOU NOT RACING AT LE MANS IN 2020 AND HAS IT FUELED YOU TO GET BACK THIS YEAR?

“When you watch it on TV I missed the race in 2018 and 2019 as well that’s when you remember how special it is. When you’re there, you’re in the moment and enjoying it because it’s Le Mans. But when you’re away from it and watching it on TV like when you were a kid, you definitely miss it and want to be back.
It motivates you to get back there and be competitive.
Watching last year on TV was difficult. This year if you knew the behind-the-scenes effort that the team has gone through with the resources and getting everything over there, it shows how much it means to the organization and Chevrolet as a whole.
I’ve been getting excited. I’ve been watching old Le Mans races during the days while riding my bike in the garage to get motivated. I’m looking forward to getting back.”

TALK ABOUT THE POWER OF MOMENTUM WITH THE RUN YOU AND ANTONIO ARE ON SINCE THE START OF 2020.

“It’s kind of crazy how well it’s gone starting in the last year. After the COVID break last year, things have gone so well. Things just clicked, especially on the 3 car side. A lot of things have gone our way strategy-wise.
If you look at the Road America race from last year, we were fourth and fifth until the rain came, and that’s what switched things around and got us back to the lead.
There were a lot of circumstances like that where we shouldn’t have been in contention and things just flipped around.
At the same time, you need to be prepared for those opportunities.

The team needs to be prepared to call the strategy on tire changes in that situation. A lot of times that can fall on experience. We’ve had a lot of close battles with the 4 car where they could have very easily gone the other way and they could have won all those races. Putting ourselves in the right position in a lot of times and having the little things going our way a lot of the times.
Antonio and I have been working well together and the chemistry has been good.”

CORVETTE HAS USED ROAD AMERICA TO PREPARE FOR LE MANS.
HOW MUCH OF WHAT YOU WILL RUN THIS WEEKEND CAN CARRY OVER TO THOSE FOLLOWING TWO WEEKS?

“The test was important. We learned a lot from the very beginning. We started on our sprint configuration and went to low-downforce. From the beginning to the end, we made a bunch of improvements. Had we not had those tests, we would have been learning those things at Le Mans but the time there is crucial to get on track.
We had two days there with low-downforce, and I think Tommy has done 45 days in the simulator around Le Mans with me watching! We’ve put in a lot of time and effort into it. A lot of it is also coming from that simulator time where we saw last year how important, how crucial and how well it worked.
That was reiterated and confirmed at our Road America test as well.
We knew from the simulation what to expected and what kind of changes we wanted to make. It’s looking positive from that point of view for Le Mans.”

DOES TOMMY DO MOST OF THE LE MANS SIMULATION WORK?
DO YOU BOTH PARTICIPATE OR IS IT BETTER TO GET A BASELINE FROM ONE GUY AND WORK OFF THAT?

“I do my fair share! Usually each test is two days and two drivers, and each of us will have our own program.
Tommy has been the Le Mans guy most of the days I’ve been there, and then my project would be Lime Rock prep or Road America prep.
My focus would be on one thing and his focus would be on one thing.
That way every time you get back in the sim, you have something to relate to. Sometimes when you go track to track, it can take a run or two to adjust your brain to what that package is doing to give accurate feedback.

Over time, the engineers have developed this process that’s shown to have the best result. Even these days when we go, there are things being adjusted to make it more accurate from a driver and feedback point of view.
When I was doing Lime Rock prep, it’s like a 10-lap run and I’d be done in five minutes and Tommy would get in for his 10 laps and I’d sit there for an hour watching him!”

TALK ABOUT HOW MUCH FANS MAKE LE MANS WHAT IT IS, AND HOW PLEASED ARE YOU THAT WE WILL HAVE SOME KIND OF FAN ATTENDANCE AT THIS YEAR’S RACE?

“I’ll never forget my first time there in 2012.
I flew over for the Test Day, was 20 years old and was just a little GRAND-AM driver here in America. I walked from the paddock to the pitlane and got stopped by like 10 people who knew my name and had pictures of me printed out of all my different GRAND-AM cars.
In America, we have a great fanbase especially with Corvette Racing. When you go to Le Mans, it’s a very unique group of sports car fans. It’s very special.
It will be missed but it it’ll be good to have at least some attendance. Missing the parade and some of those things will change a bit of the atmosphere.

“My dad used to say that in NASCAR and Formula One, the fans know the drivers.
In sports car racing, all drivers know the fans. In a lot of aspects, it’s true.
When you go to Sebring, you have the cows, the monks and the group at Turn 10, and you get to know them.

When you go to Le Mans, there are unique people like Therése (Heurtebize), and I think Tommy got knighted in 2015 by a group of British fans there, plus the Nerdmans come from Spain. That quote is true in a lot of aspects. When we go to those events, you expect to see these people every time.
So it will be a little bit sad if we don’t get to see those same people but hopefully in a few years it will be back to normal so we can see all our fans again that we recognize every time we go back.”

TOMMY MILNER, NO. 4 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C8.R

WHAT’S YOUR THOUGHT PROCESS APPROACHING THE MONTH OF AUGUST WITH ROAD AMERICA AND LE MANS?

“Our thought process has been pretty heavy on Le Mans in many ways. It’s been a topic of discussion quite a bit within the team. But obviously we have had other things to focus on with Lime Rock in previous weeks and now Road America as well. It’s a very balanced approach. Jordan and I were in the sim recently working on Le Mans and Road America.
There is a lot going on, for sure. The first focus is Road America but I’m sure the topic for many of our meetings will be focusing on Le Mans as well.
There’s a lot going on for Corvette Racing right now and focusing on one day a time in many ways. It’s busy but exciting.”

CORVETTE RACING’S ABSENCE FROM LE MANS LAST YEAR WAS STRANGE.
HOW WAS IT FOR YOU NOT RACING AT LE MANS IN 2020 AND HAS IT FUELED YOU TO GET BACK THIS YEAR?

“I don’t think any of us has taken going to Le Mans for granted. The amount of effort and attention that gets paid toward that race by this team, the engineers, the crew guys and us as drivers we don’t take it lightly.
Having missed last year and watching it on TV for the first time in many years, certainly the excitement ramps up for going back there again this year.

Obviously it’s not exactly the same Le Mans experience without the public scrutineering and things like that. The world is still a little uncertain at times but we’re excited to go back. There has been a lot of time and effort spent with this Corvette C8.R to make it as good as we can for Le Mans.
We don’t’ know exactly how good it will be until we get there. I think for all of us, we’re excited for what the car can be or could be. We’re excited to see how it goes.”

IS IT FRUSTRATING TO SEE YOUR TEAMMATES HAVE THE SUCCESS THEY’VE BEEN HAVING WHEN YOU AND NICK (TANDY) ARE KNOCKING ON THE DOOR?

“There are moments of frustration for sure. For us on the 4 car, last year there were times where we missed it with setup and strategy.
There was a conscious effort as the year was winding down last year to make a better effort to improve in those areas. We started to make some headway there, and in the offseason we continued to go over those things with the team and our engineers the things that we thought were working well for us and the areas where we needed to improve.

This year with Nick, he brings a fresh perspective on it. All things considered, we’ve had good races. We just haven’t had a whole lot of luck in certain situations. The 3 car guys have had great cars, have made the right strategy calls and done everything right. So in that sense they deserve all the success they’ve had. For us, there have had times where we’ve had the opportunities and for some reason or another sometimes it’s bad luck and sometimes it’s of our own doing in not getting everything 100 percent right.
Frustration is part of it but it’s not like desperation.

Having been on this time for a long time, I really like the direction this car is going. We are making better decisions, making the right pit calls, making good setup decisions and changes. From that side, I couldn’t be happier. If Nick and I replay the year a little bit, it’s one little thing here and one little thing there, and oftentimes those are just racing things.
At Watkins Glen, we were looking pretty good and the front swaybar broke. Those little moments when they start stacking up, that’s where the frustration comes in. But we have to stay focused on what is working for us and the things that we can improve on. We are finding and exploring every other area that we think can be improved and continue on that path. If we keep doing that, then we will have success.
I don’t think there needs to be any kind of wholesale change on our side. It’s a matter of continuing down the path we have been going. If we continue do to that, we’ll be in good shape.”

HOW MUCH EMPHASIS DO YOU AND NICK NOW PUT ON LE MANS?
HOW MUCH WOULD A LE MANS WIN TURN THINGS AROUND?

“A Le Mans win pretty much trumps everything else. Every year, the team has in general joked that if we won Le Mans and we crashed every other race, it would still be a successful year.
That’s a bit of a joke obviously, but a lot of emphasis is put on this race. It’s the biggest sports car race in the world and one of the biggest sporting events in the world. Those two wins at Le Mans in my career are two highlights.

Every year I feel like we have a chance to get another win, and this year we will see. We feel good obviously, but with a new car there is still a little bit of an unknown. We don’t have any track time there yet with this car, but we feel good about all the preparation we’ve done.
We feel good about it and excited about the opportunity with this C8.R. For us on the 4 car side, it would be a great way to turn our year around and fix all the bad luck we’ve had.”

THE TWO CORVETTES HAVE RACED EACH OTHER HARD THIS YEAR.
WHEN YOU GO TO LE MANS AND IT’S A LARGER FIELD IS THAT DETREMENT OR DO THE BATTLES YOU’VE BEEN IN FEEL LIKE THEY’RE ENOUGH TO MAKE SURE YOU’RE SHARP?

“There have only been two or three races where it’s just been the two of us battling.
With Daytona, Sebring and the Watkins Glen Six Hours, and having the BMW guys there, they’ve been a huge competitor and continually challenge us.
It hasn’t felt, to be honest, so far this year that the field is small.
Part of that is that we haven’t had tons of races like that but also the challenge of racing our teammates has been pretty big.
The race weekends don’t feel a whole lot different. Those felt like big battles.

So far, the feeling and atmosphere within the team hasn’t changed. The Porsche guys are still quick. From that aspect, that hasn’t changed dramatically and some of that could be the attention put on Le Mans and understanding that we will have a big challenge there.
Part of the team was over there in Spa for the Six Hours there, so the team is still in this mode of maximizing every single thing at the track.
A lot of that energy and motivation comes from knowing we do have this big challenge coming up at Le Mans. The team has stayed pretty focused on that.”

TEMPERATURES THIS WEEKEND LOOK LIKE THEY COULD BE RELATIVELY COOL.
IS TIRE DEGRADATION STILL A BIG ISSUE AT ROAD AMERICA WITH 70 DEGREE TEMPERATURES?

“Probably.
The last couple of years it has been quite warm. It seems like more these days with the tire compound options from Michelin that it’s more about making sure you are on the right compound. That kind of takes care of the degradation issue in that sense. Sometimes we are in between compounds and trying to figure out what the right combination is or the right compound to be on can be tricky.
It seems like Road America is a little bit of an outlier in some sense for what we maybe normally run for most of the season. It’s a place where we’re always second-guessing our compound choice because of the track surface and the high-speed nature of the track.

We’ll treat it as a nice challenge in that sense of making sure we are doing everything we can to get on the right tire as soon as we can in the practice sessions and be able to work from there.
The plan is for us to run as we would normally run there for an IMSA weekend, which is the higher downforce spec. I don’t think the team is planning to run a low downforce spec in preparation for Le Mans. The plan is to run our normal sprint package. In that case, it’s kind of business as usual for the team.
Because of the testing we’ve done and the work we’ve done in the sim, we have a good baseline for Le Mans.
The focus will be maximizing the race weekend at Elkhart Lake and doing the best we can there with the best package for that racetrack.”

TALK ABOUT HOW MUCH FANS MAKE LE MANS WHAT IT IS, AND HOW PLEASED ARE YOU THAT WE WILL HAVE SOME KIND OF FAN ATTENDANCE AT THIS YEAR’S RACE?

“Le Mans is not just the race itself.
It is the atmosphere of the racetrack, the energy the fans bring, the energy that the race itself brings and the history of it. Having fans there will make it feel a bit more normal.
Missing some of the other aspects of the event like scrutineering in town and the drivers’ parade and things that are just big moments of the weekend… they all add to the whole show that is Le Mans. From that aspect, those will be missed but having fans there in whatever capacity they are is great.

As the years have gone and us as drivers being involved in the race, the few opportunities that I’ve had to watch the racecars go around at speed in-person close to the track, it reminds you of how special it is to see these cars in-person and at full speed.
For a lot of European fans, it will be the first time to see the Corvette C8.R. Hopefully it all goes smoothly and the fans have a good time.”

Team ZR-1
True Custom Performance Tuning
Teamzr1.com
Team ZR-1 Store
Enter Here
#5200 - 08/03/21 10:29 AM Re: C8.R - ROAD AMERICA / IMSA SPORTSCAR WEEKEND [Re: teamzr1]  
teamzr1 Online happy
Owner - Pays the bills
teamzr1  Online Happy
Owner - Pays the bills
Lives in Engine Bay

America
C8.R Corvette Racing is back at its spiritual home this weekend as it enters the second half of the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship. Historic and picturesque Road America is set to play host to Corvette Racing for the 20th time, with the program searching for its ninth victory at the 4.048-mile, 14-turn road course.
Both of the team’s mid-engine Chevrolet Corvette C8.Rs will be in action for the two-hour, 40-minute race. Antonio Garcia and Jordan Taylor return as defending GT Le Mans (GTLM) race-winners in the No. 3 Mobil 1/SiriusXM Corvette C8.R. They are on a three-race winning streak and won last year’s GTLM Drivers Championship.

The first-year pairing of Tommy Milner and Nick Tandy reeled off consecutive runner-up finishes at Watkins Glen and Lime Rock Park, and they scored a victory in a non-points race at Detroit to start Corvette Racing’s summer swing.
Continuing that team momentum is as important as ever. Directly after Road America, Corvette Racing departs for France and its return to the 24 Hours of Le Mans. As is tradition, the team in May used Road America with its long straights and sections of fast, flowing corners to test and develop the Corvette C8.R’s low-downforce setup and aerodynamic package.

Road America also was the site of the first on-track test for the C8.R in 2018, another example of how Chevrolet continues to use the track to improve the Corvette brand a practice that dates back more than 60 years.

Chevrolet’s ties with Road America will be evident all over the circuit, including the famed Corvette Bridge at Turn Six and the immersive Chevrolet Motorsports Display that will be open to fans throughout the weekend. Located at the top of the Midway near the Victory Podium, the Chevrolet Motorsports Display will be full of Chevrolet vehicles that spectators can learn more about during a busy event.

The Chevrolet Motorsports Display opens at 9 a.m. Friday plus 8:30 a.m. Saturday and Sunday. Numerous Chevrolet vehicles and other highlights include:
• A Corvette Racing C8.R showcar
• A 2022 Corvette Stingray IMSA GTLM Championship Edition coupe
• Additional Chevrolet products such as the Camaro Coupe 2SS, Blazer RS, Silverado Trail Boss, and Tahoe RST
• A special display with various Corvette Racing artifacts
• An opportunity to receive a Corvette T-shirt

In addition, the Chevrolet Stingray coupe will serve as Official Pace Vehicle for the Road America event’s premier races, including the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship and Michelin Pilot Challenge.

Corvette Racing will contest the IMSA SportsCar Weekend on Aug. 6-8 from Road America in Elkhart Lake, Wis. Same-day coverage on NBCSN starts at 8 p.m. ET with live streaming coverage on TrackPass and NBC Sports Gold at 2:35 p.m. ET. Live audio coverage from IMSA Radio will be available on IMSA.com.
ANTONIO GARCIA, NO. 3 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C8.R:

“It’s good to have three weekends in a row ahead of Le Mans. Road America is good preparation for us to practice and compete, especially one week ahead of the Test Day. It will bring everyone up to speed and to be at 100 percent.
It will be challenging for the team being on one side of the world in a very competitive race and then fly halfway across the world to the most challenging race will do.
Road America is the closest you can get to the speeds will run at Le Mans. That will be very helpful.”

JORDAN TAYLOR, NO. 3 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C8.R:

“Last year was an unexpected win. We weren’t in a great position, but the way the race played out, and the strategy calls we made were big. Antonio basically had to survive the last couple of laps in the rain to bring it home for the win. It was a huge day for the team with a 1-2 finish and for the 3 car in the championship. Since then, we’ve had a couple of tests there, so we’ve learned some things to be more competitive when we do go back. Having that win last year really gave us some confidence.”

TOMMY MILNER, NO. 4 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C8.R:

“Road America will be a more important race than usual. It’s a place we typically go to for testing at Le Mans.
We won’t run the cars there this week in the same test spec, but it will be our last real-world test of all our processes ahead of the Test Day and Le Mans itself. I imagine it will be a little more ramped up all weekend as we focus on that race, but also having an eye toward going to France a few days later.

There are some challenges with that, with the team having already sent some equipment and spares over. I don’t see that being a problem, but I’m sure there could be some heartburn for some guys if there are issues!
We approach each race as its own isolated event, but we have to look at the big picture, too. This will be a big weekend for sure.”

NICK TANDY, NO. 4 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C8.R:

“The track at Road America is fantastic, the area is fantastic and the history of the circuit is phenomenal. There is some great stuff at Road America, but there also are places where it’s a straight, 90-degree corner, straight and 90-degree corner. Having said that, it is one of those places where it’s so incredibly fast with no room for error in many places.
Because of that, it’s an awesome lap when you have a car on the limit, even if you are on your own.
In some tracks, when you are on your own, it’s not much fun and needs that racing aspect. A quick lap at Road America is different and a lot of fun.”

2021 WeatherTech SportsCar Championship – GTLM
(After Five of 10 Events)

Driver Standings
1. Antonio Garcia/Jordan Taylor – 1,852
2. Tommy Milner/Nick Tandy – 1,661
3. Cooper MacNeil – 1,604
4. Augusto Farfus/Jesse Krohn/John Edwards – 1001
5. Mathieu Jaminet – 994

Team Standings

1. No. 3 Corvette Racing – 1,852
2. No. 4 Corvette Racing – 1,661
3. No. 79 WeatherTech Racing – 1,604
4. No. 24 BMW Team RLL – 1,001
5. No. 25 BMW Team RLL – 966

Manufacturer Standings

1. Chevrolet – 1,875
2. Porsche – 1,726
3. BMW – 1,052
4. Ferrari – 330

Team ZR-1
Teamzr1.com
#5203 - 08/04/21 04:47 PM Re: C8.R - ROAD AMERICA / IMSA SPORTSCAR WEEKEND [Re: teamzr1]  
teamzr1 Online happy
Owner - Pays the bills
teamzr1  Online Happy
Owner - Pays the bills
Lives in Engine Bay

America
Jordan Taylor says the next 3 weeks will be “hectic” for C8.R Corvette Racing as it tackles this weekend’s IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship round at Road America before jetting off to France for the team’s highly anticipated return to the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

The Pratt & Miller-run squad, which currently leads the IMSA GT Le Mans class championship standings, is set to give the mid-engined Chevrolet Corvette C8.R its Le Mans debut later this month after missing last year’s race due to the COVID-19-related complications.

With just a three-day turnaround between Road America and the day the team needs to be on the ground in France, it has built up a fourth race chassis to deal with the challenging logistics involved.

The postponed French endurance classic is set for Aug. 21-22, with the mandatory test day on Aug. 15.

“I think the biggest part is logistics for the team getting parts, cars and people back and forth between the two,” said Taylor, who will be making his first Le Mans start since 2017.

“They’ve been shipping stuff for the past couple of months overseas to get ready for Le Mans.

“Timing-wise, it’s difficult having Road America this weekend, but at the same time it’s always good to go racing.

“It was a 1-2 last year for Corvette Racing, but it was pretty wild circumstances at the end there with the rain. I think Antonio and Tommy were fourth and fifth on the last restart and survived at the end to get the 1-2.

“Hopefully it will be a little cleaner and smoother this year.

“It’s always been a good track for the team and the car. We did a test there earlier this year, kind of prepping for this week’s race and prepping for Le Mans in the low-downforce kit. We feel confident going back there and to Le Mans.”

Despite being primarily focused on Le Mans, Taylor feels the Road America test in May will also help them in this weekend’s two-hour and 40-minute WeatherTech Championship race.

Taylor and co-driver Antonio Garcia head into Sunday’s race with a 191-point lead over teammates Tommy Milner and Nick Tandy.

“The test was important,” said Taylor. “We learned a lot from the very beginning.

“We started on our sprint configuration and went to low-downforce. From the beginning to the end, we made a bunch of improvements.

“Had we not had those tests, we would have been learning those things at Le Mans, but the time there is crucial to get on track.

“We had two days there with low-downforce, and I think Tommy has done 45 days in the simulator around Le Mans with me watching! We’ve put in a lot of time and effort into it.

“A lot of it is also coming from that simulator time when we saw last year how important, how crucial and how well it worked. That was reiterated and confirmed at our Road America test as well.

“We knew from the simulation what to expect and what kind of changes we wanted to make. It’s looking positive from that point of view for Le Mans.”

“Things Have Just Clicked” For No. 3 Crew Since 2020

Taylor and Garcia have been riding a wave of momentum since IMSA’s return to racing in July 2020, with the pairing having earned nine class wins out of 17 races, including last year’s GTLM drivers’ title.

“It’s kind of crazy how well it’s gone starting in the last year,” said Taylor. “After the COVID break last year, things have gone so well. Things just clicked, especially on the 3 car side.

“A lot of things have gone our way, strategy-wise.

“If you look at the Road America race from last year, we were fourth and fifth until the rain came, and that’s what switched things around and got us back to the lead.

“There were a lot of circumstances like that where we shouldn’t have been in contention and things just flipped around. At the same time, you need to be prepared for those opportunities.

“The team needs to be prepared to call the strategy on tire changes in that situation. A lot of times that can fall on experience.

“We’ve had a lot of close battles with the 4 car where they could have very easily gone the other way, and they could have won all those races. Putting ourselves in the right position in a lot of times and having the little things going our way a lot of the times. Antonio and I have been working well together and the chemistry has been good.”

Team ZR-1
Teamzr1.com
#5208 - 08/06/21 05:36 PM Re: C8.R - ROAD AMERICA / IMSA SPORTSCAR WEEKEND [Re: teamzr1]  
teamzr1 Online happy
Owner - Pays the bills
teamzr1  Online Happy
Owner - Pays the bills
Lives in Engine Bay

America
This weekend will see all five classes nearly three dozen prototypes and GT cars in all competing on a track that bills itself as “America’s National Park of Speed” without fear of detractors.

While every circuit on the WeatherTech Championship schedule has its charms and challenges, Road America is universally recognized as the epitome of North American road racing.
For openers, at 4.048 miles in length, it’s the longest, biggest, most challenging natural terrain road course this side of the Nurburgring.
Not only do its 14 turns and corners run the gamut of slow, medium and blood-curdling fast, but a lap of Road America also features more than 170 feet of elevation changes and three, count ’em three, straightaways where the fastest cars top the 180-mph mark.

Who is likely to add (or rewrite) their name to the list of Road America winners this weekend?
If last year’s race is any barometer, Acura (Daytona Prototype International – DPi), Corvette (GT Le Mans – GTLM) and Lexus (GT Daytona – GTD) are the favorites. Strictly speaking, however, repeat winners will be scarcer than hens’ teeth given the reshuffling of driver/team/manufacturer alliances since last IMSA raced at Road America. Thus, while Acura would logically start as favorites in DPi, Wayne Taylor Racing and Meyer Shank Racing with Curb-Agajanian are now carrying the Acura standard, so there’s no chance of a repeat win by Team Penske.

Likewise, the Le Mans Prototype 2 (LMP2) podium will surely have a fresh look this time around. Last year’s winner, DragonSpeed, is racing in the World Endurance Championship this season while 2020 runner-up Performance Tech Motorsports has turned its focus to the new Le Mans Prototype 3 (LMP3) class.
It leaves Era Motorsport looking to advance two places on the rostrum from last year and capture its first win since taking the season-opening Rolex 24 At Daytona.

Last year’s Road America GTD winner Frankie Montecalvo will be back at the helm of the familiar No. 12 Vasser Sullivan Lexus RC F GT3, albeit with a different co-driver as he and Zach Veach (who has taken over for Townsend Bell) pursue their first victory of the 2021 campaign.

Among last year’s class winners at Road America, only the combination of Antonio Garcia, Jordan Taylor and Corvette Racing returns intact.
Is it purely coincidental that Messrs.
Garcia and Taylor have taken four wins in five points-paying outings so far this season?
And would anyone bet the mortgage they won’t make it five for six this weekend?

On the other hand, it’s a cinch LMP3 will see a new winner this time around, given that this weekend marks the class’ WeatherTech Championship debut at Road America. That said, as noted, Performance Tech Motorsports finished on the LMP2 podium at Road America last year.
Where better to capture the first win of 2021 and inch closer in the points race to class leaders Riley Motorsports and CORE autosport?

Team ZR-1
Teamzr1.com
#5210 - 08/07/21 05:51 PM Re: C8.R - ROAD AMERICA / IMSA SPORTSCAR WEEKEND [Re: teamzr1]  
teamzr1 Online happy
Owner - Pays the bills
teamzr1  Online Happy
Owner - Pays the bills
Lives in Engine Bay

America
The No. 31 Whelen Engineering Cadillac DPi-V.R. will start the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship from Road America from pole position after Felipe Nasr emerged from a fractious qualifying session with a time of 2m07.919s.
All the sessions in qualifying were impacted by rain with the second half of the DPi and LMP2 session seeing multiple drivers spin at various points of the track.

Ricky Taylor in the No. 10 Wayne Taylor Racing Acura ARX-05c was second with a time of 2m08.677s. Oliver Jarvis put Mazda on the inside of row two and ensured the top three would consist of three different manufactures with a time of 2m08.716s from the No. 55 Mazda RT-24P.

Nasr, Kevin Magnussen in the No. 01 Cadillac Chip Ganassi Racing DPi-V.R., and Olivier Pla in the No. 60 Meyer Shank Racing Acura ARX-05c were among several drivers who either spun or went wide into the grass in the conditions.
Pla slid the No. 60 all the way through the grass and into the barrier at turn three, leaving his Acura with damage to the left rear. He ended the session last in class and 2.581s behind Nasr.

Cooper MacNeil had qualifying duties in the No. 79 WeatherTech Racing Porsche 911 RSR and struggled to find pace on the wet track. He ended the session 3.195s behind Taylor.
Ben Keating put the No. 51 PR1/Mathiasen Motorsports ORECA 07 on pole in LMP2 with a time of 2m18.511s. It was an impressive lap from Keating considering he set it while many others in DPi were spinning through the grass after going off track.

Steven Thomas in the No. 11 WIN Autosport was the only other driver to seriously challenge Keating for pole position, but his efforts came to an end after a spin and contact with the tire barrier on the exit of the final corner. He ended the session second in class and 1.430s behind Keating.

DPI & LMP2 RESULTS

In LMP3, Dan Goldburg scored his first pole position in IMSA with a 2m19.106s on the final lap of the session in his No. 38 Performance Tech Motorsports Ligier JS P320. It was a tricky session for the LMP3 cars with a wet track that was beginning to dry only for more rain to start falling.
Gar Robinson in the No. 74 Riley Motorsports Ligier JS P320 was second and 0.313s behind Goldburg. The No. 36 Andretti Autosport Ligier JS P320 was third after Jarett Andretti’s effort.

LMP3 RESULTS

After being bested in practice, Corvette returned to form with a front-row lockout in GT Le Mans. Jordan Taylor in the No. 3 Corvette C8.R bested Nick Tandy in the No. 4 Corvette C8.R by 0.627s with a time of 2m20.979s.

Aaron Telitz in the No. 14 Vasser Sullivan Lexus RC-F GT3 qualified on pole in GT Daytona with a time of 2m07.195s. Trent Hindman in the No. 16 Wright Motorsports Porsche 911 GT3 R was +0.667s behind Telitz. The No. 96 Turner Motorsports BMW M6 GT3 of Robby Foley rounded out the top three.

As the first class to qualify, GTD had the toughest session in the changing conditions. Drivers got about 10 minutes of relatively dry running before the showers arrived and all the cars came into the pits with the opportunity for fast laps now taken away by the rain. Most cars completed only four laps in the session.

Laurens Vanthoor (pictured, top) earned the No. 9 Pfaff Motorsports Porsche 911 GT3 R an extra 35 points in the points-paying qualifying session for GTD.

GT RESULTS

UP NEXT: IMSA Sports Car Weekend, 2:40 p.m. ET, TrackPass on NBC Sports Gold; 8:00 p.m. ET, NBCSN

Team ZR-1
Teamzr1.com
#5211 - 08/07/21 05:58 PM Re: C8.R - ROAD AMERICA / IMSA SPORTSCAR WEEKEND [Re: teamzr1]  
teamzr1 Online happy
Owner - Pays the bills
teamzr1  Online Happy
Owner - Pays the bills
Lives in Engine Bay

America
CORVETTE RACING AT ROAD AMERICA: Taylor Puts Corvette on Pole

1-2 GTLM start for team’s 20th race at Road America; Milner second in qualifying

ELKHART LAKE, Wis. (Aug. 7, 2021)
Jordan Taylor gave Corvette Racing its second pole position at Road America in three years with the fast time in qualifying for the IMSA SportsCar Weekend race the team’s 20th event at the historic road course and a fourth straight 1-2 qualifying result in GT Le Mans (GTLM) on the season.

Taylor, driving the No. 3 Mobil 1/SiriusXM Chevrolet Corvette C8.R with Antonio Garcia, set the best lap of 2:20.979 (103.368 mph) ahead of Sunday’s two-hour, 40-minute race. Taylor and Garcia arrived at Road America after three straight victories and lead the GTLM Drivers Championship, as does Chevrolet in the Manufacturers standings.

Taylor went 0.627 seconds quicker than Nick Tandy in the No. 4 Mobil 1/SiriusXM Corvette that he shares with Tommy Milner. Tandy and Milner were second in the two most recent GTLM races at Watkins Glen and Lime Rock, and they also won the non-points Detroit round in mid-June.

Directly after Road America, Corvette Racing departs for France and its return to the 24 Hours of Le Mans. As is tradition, the team in May used Road America – with its long straights and sections of fast, flowing corners, to test and develop the Corvette C8.R’s low-downforce setup and aerodynamic package.

Corvette Racing will race at Road America in IMSA competition at 1:40 p.m. CT on Sunday. Same-day coverage on NBCSN starts at 8 p.m. ET with live-streaming coverage on TrackPass and NBC Sports Gold at 2:35 p.m. ET. Live audio coverage from IMSA Radio will be available on IMSA.com.

JORDAN TAYLOR, NO. 3 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C8.R GTLM POLE-WINNER:

“Obviously a good session for us. We had a wet session to get an idea of what the car might be doing. So heading into qualifying, we had some confidence to know what to expect with tire pressures and to how to warm up the tire. It was a little drier than yesterday, with not as much standing water
Getting the lap time in early when the tire was at its peak is what got us the pole. We almost replicated the lap at the end, but I think that was just figuring out where to go in the wet. The C8.R was consistent and it was strong.
It’s another 1-2 in qualifying for Corvette Racing so that bodes well for us in the race no matter if the race is wet or dry.”

MORE ON QUALIFYING:

“It’s good to be back at Road America. It’s one of our favorite events of the year. It’s Corvette Racing’s 20th race here, so it’s special to be part of that kind of history at this track. Another 1-2 for the team, but it was definitely tricky.
We had in-between conditions today for qualifying we had a wet session yesterday, dry this morning and in the middle for qualifying.

It’s good getting the car in these different conditions, especially leading up to Le Mans next week, when all these conditions can play a part of it.
The more miles we get on the Corvette in these mixed conditions and learn, the better we will be at Le Mans and for tomorrow.”

ARE MIXED CONDITIONS SOMETIMES MORE DIFFICULT THAN FULLY WET?

“It was a tricky session. Just watching the first GTD session, they were on slicks, but it looked like it was raining on half the track, so we didn’t know what to expect. For us, it seemed kind of damp everywhere, like a light rain. But even then, each corner felt different each lap.

It was hard to tell if that was tire degradation or grip level or rain. It’s hard when you don’t have that many cars around you to kind of judge from.
Thankfully we were able to get that lap in early and set a second pretty good lap at the end. No matter what conditions we get tomorrow, the C8.R will be strong.”

DESCRIBE WHAT IT’S LIKE TO DRIVE THESE CARS IN THE RAIN:

“It’s definitely sketchy. When I joined them in 2012 as a third driver, it was known that Gary Pratt (team principal) doesn’t like testing in the rain just because it’s so easy to make a mistake; you’re in a knife edge the whole time.
In testing, you can’t learn a whole lot, but at the same time you need to test some amount to be prepared for a weekend like this where it is in these conditions. From a driving point of view, it’s on edge, more on edge in the brake zones and everything that it would be in the dry.

Locking front tires, locking rears, sliding the car thankfully the team has developed so many bits of technology in the car: lock-up lights to warn the driver when you’re locking up a tire, traction control lights to let you know when the rear is slipping to give you more signals than what you’re feeling in the car.

They’ve definitely made it easier for us throughout the years, but I think that’s what everyone is doing around the world to elevate racing and competition.
That’s why I think you’ve seen everyone come so close when it comes to laptime.”

IS THERE A FUN FACTOR TO IT?

“It’s fun when you’re fast! When you’re slow, it’s very stressful because it’s so easy to make a mistake. If you just touch the paint at the wrong angle, you’ll be spinning off, and you can’t catch the car. It’s impossible. You’re very on-edge but at the same time there is a bit of thrill with that where you are on edge, and the more on-edge you are the more laptime there is.

So it’s risk versus reward. Robin Liddell was the one who said years ago in GRAND-AM that any driver who enjoys the rain is lying because at any moment you can send it off pretty quickly. Hopefully tomorrow isn’t as bad as last year.
Antonio drove yesterday, where it was more wet than today. I think no matter the conditions, the car has been proven. We’re looking forward to it.”

NICK TANDY, NO. 4 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C8.R QUALFIED SECOND IN GTLM:

“We just missed it a bit with the setup. We’re still working on getting the balance where we need to be.
Tomorrow is going to be the challenge if it’s dry with the temps and the tire degradation. If it’s wet, which is looking likely, that presents its own challenges as well.
We got some good work in today, but the majority will come tomorrow in warm up to make any last-minute improvements.”

Team ZR-1
Teamzr1.com
#5212 - 08/07/21 07:45 PM Re: C8.R - ROAD AMERICA / IMSA SPORTSCAR WEEKEND [Re: teamzr1]  
teamzr1 Online happy
Owner - Pays the bills
teamzr1  Online Happy
Owner - Pays the bills
Lives in Engine Bay

America
For Jordan's multitude of accomplishments in IMSA racing, Jordan Taylor had never claimed a pole position at Road America. Until now.

In difficult conditions Saturday afternoon, middling between wet and drying, Taylor guided the No. 3 Corvette Racing Chevrolet Corvette C8.R to the top qualifying spot in GT Le Mans (GTLM) for the IMSA SportsCar Weekend race on Sunday.
While it was the 19th pole position of Taylor’s stellar career, it was his first at Road America a favorite track among nearly every driver.

Taylor was pleased to finally add qualifying honors at the high-speed, 4.048-mile, 14-turn road course to his lengthy list of achievements.
Especially in the treacherous conditions, with the track dampened by rain just before the session began.

“It feels good,” Taylor said. “It’s great to be back at Road America, it’s one of our favorite events of the year. It’s Corvette Racing’s 20th time here, so it’s special to be part of that kind of history at this track.

“Yeah, it was definitely a tricky session with in-between conditions.
We had a wet session yesterday, dry this morning and almost kind of in the middle for qualifying.”

Taylor’s top lap of 2 minutes, 20.979 seconds (103.368 mph) bested teammate Nick Tandy in the No. 4 Corvette by 0.627 seconds. Taylor and co-driver Antonio Garcia, the defending Road America class winners, will lead the GTLM field to green ahead of Tandy and Tommy Milner in the No. 4 Corvette, with Cooper MacNeil and Matt Campbell starting third in the No. 79 WeatherTech Racing Porsche 911 RSR-19.

Taylor, seeking his 25th career win on Sunday, said the balance of risk versus reward is especially stressful in conditions like Saturday.
He said Friday evening’s practice in wetter conditions helped the team gauge how to approach qualifying.

“Heading into qualifying, we had some confidence to know what to expect with tire pressures and how to warm up the tire,” he said.
“It was a little drier than yesterday, with not as much standing water. Getting the lap time in early when the tire was at its peak is what got us the pole.

“We almost replicated the lap at the end, but I think that was just figuring out where to go in the wet.
The C8.R was consistent and it was strong. It’s another 1-2 in qualifying for Corvette Racing, so that bodes well for us in the race, no matter if the race is wet or dry.”

Team ZR-1
Teamzr1.com
#5214 - 08/08/21 12:57 PM Re: C8.R - ROAD AMERICA / IMSA SPORTSCAR WEEKEND [Re: teamzr1]  
teamzr1 Online happy
Owner - Pays the bills
teamzr1  Online Happy
Owner - Pays the bills
Lives in Engine Bay

America
With half the race in the books, here is where they stand

Attached Files halfway.jpg

Team ZR-1
Teamzr1.com
#5215 - 08/08/21 02:25 PM Re: C8.R - ROAD AMERICA / IMSA SPORTSCAR WEEKEND [Re: teamzr1]  
teamzr1 Online happy
Owner - Pays the bills
teamzr1  Online Happy
Owner - Pays the bills
Lives in Engine Bay

America
This race was not won on the track, but due to the host Weathertech using BoP to allow more fuel in the tank for their Porsche
and taking away fuel from the C8.Rs

Thus, notice the fuel pit stop counts mad

A fuel mileage run by Matt Campbell was rewarded with GT Le Mans class victory for WeatherTech Racing.

Campbell finished 15.855 seconds ahead of the No. 3 Chevrolet Corvette C8.R of Antonio Garcia, after stretching the fuel to a 60-minute final stint in his Proton Competition-run Porsche 911 RSR-19.

It marked the team’s second victory of the season after taking a surprise win at the Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring in March.

The No. 4 Corvette was knocked out of contention in the second hour after Tommy Milner was forced to serve a drive-through penalty for the car spinning its tires while on the air jacks during its stop.

Co-driver Nick Tandy held command of the early stages of the race after getting by pole-sitter Jordan Taylor, who along with Garcia finished second in class.

Attached Files gtlmlost.jpg

Team ZR-1
Teamzr1.com
#5216 - 08/08/21 05:02 PM Re: C8.R - ROAD AMERICA / IMSA SPORTSCAR WEEKEND [Re: teamzr1]  
teamzr1 Online happy
Owner - Pays the bills
teamzr1  Online Happy
Owner - Pays the bills
Lives in Engine Bay

America
Corvette Racing finished second and third in the GT Le Mans (GTLM) category of the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship on Sunday at Road America as the program now heads across the Atlantic Ocean for the 24 Hours of Le Mans.

GTLM championship leaders Antonio Garcia and Jordan Taylor finished second in the No. 3 Mobil 1/SiriusXM Chevrolet Corvette C8.R, just ahead of Tommy Milner and Nick Tandy in the No. 4 mid-engine Corvette. Shortly after the race, all focus turned to Le Mans with the team traveling over in the coming days with the Test Day set for Aug. 15.

Sunday’s race marked Corvette Racing’s 20th event at Road America, and early on the two C8.Rs were in control.
Taylor and Tandy ran 1-2 during the opening minutes. An early-race call to take fuel and tires just 22 minutes in gave the No. 4 Corvette the advantage during the opening hour. Running second, Tandy took fuel and fresh Michelin tires just ahead of a full-course caution period.

Once the GT pits opened for stops, the No. 3 Corvette side switched to Garcia along with a full fuel fill and fresh tires.
Meanwhile, Tandy remained in the No. 4 C8.R and took just enough fuel to top off the tank to move from third to first ahead of the restart at the 40-minute mark.

Tandy continued his good work in traffic on the restart to move five seconds ahead of Garcia before a second full-course caution 20 minutes later. Tandy and Garcia both stayed in with the No. 4 C8.R retaining an advantage.

Garcia stopped the No. 3 Corvette for more fuel and tires with 75 minutes left, with the No. 4 coming in less than 15 minutes later for a driver change to Milner. Disaster struck, though, as the car’s wheels spun while on the airjacks.
Race officials assessed the No. 4 C8.R a drive-through penalty for the infraction.

Meanwhile, Garcia set out to pressure Matt Campbell in the No. 79 entry late, but the pace and gap was too much to overcome.

Corvette Racing next makes its return to the 24 Hours of Le Mans, which runs Aug. 21-22.

ANTONIO GARCIA, NO. 3 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C8.R FINISHED SECOND IN GTLM:

“Not bad. It was all about gambling. Before the first yellow, we had decided to split strategies to put pressure on the Porsche, and they decided to follow us. I think we probably took a gamble on some tires, and it didn’t pay off on that first stint I did.
We lost some track position and had to change strategies from that point on to make up one stop.
The information I got on my stint probably helped us close the gap. We had to get pushing, but they (the No. 79) made it to the end.

So we did all we could do to keep the pressure up and pray for a little less fuel in their tanks. They did right and won the race. I’m happy with it considering how the race went. It’s a shame the 4 car had that drive-through (penalty). I think they would have put the Porsche under a lot more pressure and would have to push. Maybe that would have put us more in contention. You never know in these races.”

JORDAN TAYLOR, NO. 3 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C8.R FINISHED SECOND IN GTLM:

“It’s not a win, but looking overall with how the day went, I think we can be happy.
We went a little off strategy tire-wise, and it didn’t pay off. But we were a little off-strategy with the 79 there at the end. Had there been a yellow at the right time, things could have gone our way. We can’t be too upset with a second-place after winning three in a row.”

TOMMY MILNER, NO. 4 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C8.R FINISHED THIRD IN GTLM:

“Nick did an awesome job at the start. The pace was perfect, he held on to the tires and the strategy was good.
It was just one small, little mistake on the pit stop. My engineer Chuck wants to take the blame, but it’s also on me as well.
At the moment and heat of it, we knew the stop was going to be finished around the time that the driver change was done.

The information I got was that they were waiting on me, but obviously there was still some work being done, and the car was in the air. There were a lot of things happening all at once there. At the end of the day, I don’t think it would have made a massive difference in the end result.
Maybe we would have finished ahead of the 3 car. The 79 today was significantly faster than us at every stage of the race.

Now the focus is on Le Mans. We definitely learned a lesson today. In the heat of the moment there, we need to make sure our processes are perfect. It wasn’t right there, but we will take that lesson, move on and not make it again.”

NICK TANDY, NO. 4 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C8.R FINISHED THIRD IN GTLM:

“It’s not the result we wanted in the end. It was an interesting race for us in the 4 Corvette. We had a good start and led a couple of laps.
The C8.R was good, and we made a great call to pit before the first yellow.

The pace of the Porsche at the end of their stints forced us into a box, and we were trying to second-guess them because we saw the pace the car had.
We had the mistake on the pit stop that set us back, and from then we were hoping for a yellow, which never came.

But now we go to Le Mans having run at the front again. All we need to do is finish off one of these races.”

Corvette Racing opted for split strategies early, with neither playing out in the end due to a two-stop race for the No. 79 WeatherTech Racing Porsche 911 RSR-19 of Cooper MacNeil and Matt Campbell.

Antonio Garcia said post-race
that a gamble on a tire call didn’t pay off in the first stint, and they lost further ground after having to change strategies to make up one pit stop.

The No. 4 Chevrolet Corvette C8.R, which led early in the hands of Nick Tandy, lost time after being handed a drive-through penalty for wheel spin while on the air jacks during its second stop.

Tommy Milner said:

“My engineer Chuck wants to take the blame, but it’s also on me as well.
At the moment and heat of it, we knew the stop was going to be finished around the time that the driver change was done.
The information I got was that they were waiting on me, but obviously there was still some work being done, and the car was in the air.”

Team ZR-1
Teamzr1.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  teamzr1 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (teamzr1), 14 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
What's New
Teammate Jason does 140 MPH in standing 1/2 mile
by teamzr1. 03/25/24 06:05 AM
C8 Corvette Convertible Water Leak
by teamzr1. 03/21/24 11:41 AM
IMSA 12 Hours of Sebring 2024
by teamzr1. 03/14/24 07:15 PM
No warranty Flipped Z06 now needs costly repairs
by teamzr1. 03/14/24 02:29 PM
Corvette Racing History
by teamzr1. 03/13/24 03:34 PM