Rate This Thread
#5709 - 06/28/22 08:16 AM Canada - Chevrolet Grand Prix 2022  
teamzr1 Online happy
Owner - Pays the bills
teamzr1  Online Happy
Owner - Pays the bills
Lives in Engine Bay

America
For the first time since 2019, Corvette Racing and the rest of the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship is back at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park for Sunday’s Chevrolet Grand Prix.

Absent from the team’s calendar since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, the 2.459-mile, 10-turn road course just outside of Toronto will see the mid-engine Chevy Corvette C8.R for the first time. It will be the fourth generation of Corvette to compete at CTMP since the Corvette Racing program first raced there in 2000 with the Corvette C5-R.

Since that time, the team has claimed 11 victories at the track second-most among all venues, behind only Sebring.
Three of those came in Corvettes driven by Canadian and Corvette Racing legend Ron Fellows, who is co-owner of Canadian Tire Motorsport Park.

Antonio Garcia and Jordan Taylor are part of a six-car field in the GT Daytona (GTD) PRO category, which is part of a 14-car grid in the overall GTD category. The pairing will look to rebound from a disappointing race in the Sahlen’s Six Hours of The Glen two days ago.
The No. 3 Mobil 1/SiriusXM Corvette C8.R finished sixth in the GTD PRO class and 11th among GTD category runners.

Both drivers have victories to their credit at CTMP in Corvette racecars. Garcia won the GT Le Mans (GTLM) category in 2014, driving a Corvette C7.R with Jan Magnussen. Taylor was victorious the following year in a Corvette Daytona Prototype for Wayne Taylor Racing.

Garcia also is a former pole-winner at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park (2016) and set the fastest GTLM race lap in 2015.

The Chevrolet Grand Prix at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park is scheduled for 3:05 p.m. ET on Sunday, July 3.
The race will air live on NBC and stream live on Peacock inside the United States and IMSA.com outside the U.S. IMSA Radio will air on-track sessions beginning with Saturday morning’s practice at IMSA.com with the race call also on XM 207 and SiriusXM Online 992.

ANTONIO GARCIA, NO. 3 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C8.R:

“I would have loved to go to Canadian Tire Motorsport Park and raced the C8.R in full GTLM spec. That would have been wonderful to feel and see how the C8.R was around that track. We knew the C7.R was so good, and I believe this car would have been even better. This is always a track I’ve always loved. It’s always tight racing, and traffic is intense. Strategy is important with such a short lap time because it’s very fast.

You need to be on top of things, play it smart and be ready to react to everything around you. It can go either way. But CTMP always brings a perfect show and good racing. We’re looking forward to getting back there.
It’s a track where I’ve done many, many laps in the past. I don’t think things will be way different. Coming from The Glen, I think we’ll be ready to get right into things at CTMP.”

JORDAN TAYLOR, NO. 3 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C8.R:

“Going to Canadian Tire Motorsport Park is something we’ve missed. Canada always has an amazing group of fans who are so passionate.
The last time they saw Corvette Racing, it was with the C7.R. So they haven’t seen our new car, and we’re excited to show it off there.

What we’ve seen so far with the C8.R is that it suits every type of racetrack. We saw last year at Watkins Glen how successful it was at a high-speed track, and that’s kind of what CTMP is. I think our car will suit the track well, and I know we bring an amazing amount of Corvette fans there.
They’ll definitely love seeing it.”

2022 WeatherTech SportsCar Championship – GTD PRO (After five of 11 Events)
Driver Standings
1. Mathieu Jaminet/Matt Campbell – 1,671
2. Ben Barnicoat – 1,573
3. Antonio Garcia/Jordan Taylor – 1,570
4. Alex Riberas/Ross Gunn – 1,488
5. Cooper MacNeil – 1,396

Team Standings
1. No. 9 Pfaff Motorsports – 1,671
2. No. 14 VasserSullivan – 1,573
3. No. 3 Corvette Racing – 1,570
4. No. 23 Heart of Racing Team – 1,488
5. No. 79 WeatherTech Racing – 1,396

Team ZR-1
True Custom Performance Tuning
Teamzr1.com
Team ZR-1 Store
Enter Here
#5710 - 07/01/22 01:12 PM Re: Canada - Chevrolet Grand Prix 2022 [Re: teamzr1]  
teamzr1 Online happy
Owner - Pays the bills
teamzr1  Online Happy
Owner - Pays the bills
Lives in Engine Bay

America
End of practice Friday
2nd practice tomorrow and then qualify

Attached Files p1.jpg

Team ZR-1
Teamzr1.com
#5711 - 07/02/22 09:08 AM Re: Canada - Chevrolet Grand Prix 2022 [Re: teamzr1]  
teamzr1 Online happy
Owner - Pays the bills
teamzr1  Online Happy
Owner - Pays the bills
Lives in Engine Bay

America
Second practice completed

Pfaff Racing moved to the top of GTD PRO in the session, Mathieu Jaminet posting a 1m15.763s in the final minutes of the session for an average speed of 116.84mph.
Alex Riberas was second for Heart of Racing with a 1m15.851s lap in the No. 23 Aston Martin Vantage.
Corvette Racing found some speed, improving by more than a second in the cool morning conditions and moving to third on the timesheet with a 1m15.949s lap in the No. 3 by Jordan Taylor.

Yesterday’s fast driver in GTD PRO, Daniel Juncadella, was fourth in the No. 79 WeatherTech Racing Mercedes AMG, followed by John Edwards in the No. 25 BMW M Team RLL M4.
The Vasser Sullivan Lexus team was hampered in its efforts to get substitution driver Kamui Kobayashi up to speed when Ben Barnicoat threw the No. 14 off track in Turn 4, bringing out the session’s only red flag.

Next up will be qualifying

Attached Files p2.jpg

Team ZR-1
Teamzr1.com
#5712 - 07/02/22 10:01 AM Re: Canada - Chevrolet Grand Prix 2022 [Re: teamzr1]  
teamzr1 Online happy
Owner - Pays the bills
teamzr1  Online Happy
Owner - Pays the bills
Lives in Engine Bay

America
Being that Chevy hosts this race that the C8.R would be set to really want to win this race tomorrow
But after qualify completed here is where they will start

Attached Files qual.jpg

Team ZR-1
Teamzr1.com
#5713 - 07/02/22 12:21 PM Re: Canada - Chevrolet Grand Prix 2022 [Re: teamzr1]  
teamzr1 Online happy
Owner - Pays the bills
teamzr1  Online Happy
Owner - Pays the bills
Lives in Engine Bay

America
C8.R Corvette feeling OK but struggling for pace in Canadian debut

Corvette Racing’s No. 3 Chevy Corvette C8.R will start from the third row of the GT Daytona (GTD) category Sunday for the Chevrolet Grand Prix at Canadian Tire Motosport Park, the first race for the mid-engine Corvette in Canada.

Jordan Taylor set a best lap of 1:15.955 (116.547 MPH) in the Mobil 1/SiriusXM C8.R to qualify fourth in the GTD PRO category. He was 0.487 seconds behind the pole-winning Porsche of Mathieu Jaminet.

A performance deficit left Taylor & Antonio Garcia starting similarly down the GTD PRO order a week ago at Watkins Glen International. With no significant changes to the Corvette on the performance side, the key will be gaining positions through strategy and execution, just like at The Glen.

Corvette Racing and the rest of the WeatherTech Championship is back at CTMP for the first time since 2019. The C8.R is the fourth generation of Corvette to compete around and over the elevation changes at CTMP since the Corvette Racing program first competed there in 2000 with the Corvette C5-R.

Looks fast, but no fast enough. P4 in GTD PRO and P5 among all GTD cars. Jordan says car is fine and just lacks pace. Strategy, traffic and luck can be our friends
Since that time, the team has claimed 11 victories at the track, second-most among all venues behind only Sebring. Three of those came in Corvettes driven by Canadian and Corvette Racing legend Ron Fellows, who is co-owner of Canadian Tire Motorsport Park.

The Chevrolet Grand Prix at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park is scheduled for 3:05 p.m. ET on Sunday, July 3. The race will air live on NBC and stream live on Peacock inside the United States and IMSA.com outside the U.S. IMSA Radio will broadcast the race at IMSA.com with the call also on XM 207 and SiriusXM Online 992.
JORDAN TAYLOR, NO. 3 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C8.R – QUALIFIED FOURTH IN GTD PRO:

“The car is good. We’re just slow. It’s frustrating. I felt like the lap was pretty good, but we’re off the pace. It’s nothing we’re doing wrong. We’ve improved the car through the weekend, and it’s the best it’s been since we’ve been here. Hopefully we can play some strategy in the race, jump ahead of some guys and hopefully hold them off.

“I think the only hope for us is big tire degradation or traffic. On speed alone, we won’t be able to pass anyone, I don’t think. We’ll have to hope for some other guys to make mistakes, and hopefully our guys in the pitlane can make some passes for us.”

Team ZR-1
Teamzr1.com
#5714 - 07/03/22 02:53 PM Re: Canada - Chevrolet Grand Prix 2022 [Re: teamzr1]  
teamzr1 Online happy
Owner - Pays the bills
teamzr1  Online Happy
Owner - Pays the bills
Lives in Engine Bay

America
End of Race, close, but not enough as C8.R takes a second

and good day for caddy in DPi class taking 1st,3rd,4th and 5th

Mathieu Jaminet led GTD Pro from the green flag in his Pfaff-run Porsche 911, as non-Pro GTD poleman Frankie Montecalvo’s Lexus was taken out at the first corner after being caught up in an LMP3 shunt.

Jaminet and teammate Matt Campbell dominated the race,
as Jordan Taylor/Anthony Garcia (Corvette C8.R) got ahead of the Alex Riberas/Ross Gunn Heart of Racing Aston Martin Vantage for second.

The sister Vantage of Roman De Angelis and Maxime Martin won the non-Pro GTD category, despite huge late-race pressure from the Winward Mercedes of Philips Ellis/Russell Ward.

The first full-course yellow of the race was caused by John Edwards, who lost a wheel from his Team RLL BMW M4.

Lap around the track with C8.R

Attached Files finish.jpg

Team ZR-1
Teamzr1.com
#5715 - 07/03/22 05:34 PM Re: Canada - Chevrolet Grand Prix 2022 [Re: teamzr1]  
teamzr1 Online happy
Owner - Pays the bills
teamzr1  Online Happy
Owner - Pays the bills
Lives in Engine Bay

America
C8.R Corvette Racing’s Antonio Garcia and Jordan Taylor made their way back onto the GT Daytona (GTD) PRO podium Sunday as the No. 3 Mobil 1/SiriusXM Chevrolet Corvette C8.R placed second at the Chevy Grand Prix at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park.

It’s the first podium for the Corvette duo since April’s race at Long Beach for the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship.
The result boosted Garcia and Taylor back into second place in the GTD PRO Drivers Championship, with Chevrolet moving to second in the Manufacturers Championship with four races left in the season.

The No. 3 Corvette finished 1.115 seconds behind the winning No. 9 Porsche, which led all but nine of 111 laps.
A couple of early-race caution periods Sunday forced Corvette Racing engineers to alter the team’s pre-race plan.
Starting fourth, Taylor drove a double-stint and moved up a spot at the start when one of the front-row GTD cars went around at the first corner.
The No. 3 Corvette was on the inside line and got through the incident unscathed.

For the next hour and 40 minutes, Taylor was part of a three-car train of GTD PRO leaders that rarely were separated by more than one second.
Taylor expertly saved fuel and his Michelin tires while at the same time maximizing the performance of the C8.R to remain with the leaders.

His persistence paid off when he made a lunge on the far end of the circuit to take second with 75 minutes to go. The No. 3 Corvette stopped for the second time with 64 minutes left as Garcia took over with full fuel and four fresh Michelin tires.

Two more yellows interrupted Garcia’s charge, which hampered what Corvette Racing hoped was an advantage on long runs.
But every time Garcia got close to the Porsche, it would pull away again to about a lead of one second at the end of the race.

Corvette Racing’s next event in IMSA is the Northeast Grand Prix on July 15-16 from Lime Rock Park in Lakeville, Conn.

ANTONIO GARCIA, NO. 3 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C8.R FINISHED SECOND IN GTD PRO:

“We gave it our all. It was a perfect race for us. We finished second, and that’s all we had. We pushed the winning car, but it wasn’t enough. Next race, we’ll try to go a little faster and do something different.
This is what it also takes to win championships. So we need to stay in contact, and I’m sure the wins will come.”

Dealing with traffic: “It wasn’t easy. With the prototype traffic being so much faster than us, it was difficult to really get a chance to get close to the Porsche. Whenever the prototypes would pass, they would go and there would be another one pretty soon.
Maybe with more LMP3s there would have been more of a chance to do something different.

With the DPis being so much faster than us especially with their cornering it wasn’t ideal to try to work traffic in your favor. Now that we are in the slowest category instead of GTLM, you don’t have those opportunities to use traffic. All the traffic you’re in is going by. It’s difficult to use that in your favor.”

The last 20 minutes: “I think it felt like the Porsche was showing what they had to show. Whenever we would stop saving fuel or tires, it felt like they had some in reserve. We thought that without those two yellows and a more consistent stint, maybe we would have had a chance.
Up until the last yellow, I was saving the tires, but on the last yellow we knew it would be a race to the end. We both went 100 percent. They just had more.

Every second I lost in traffic, it took five or six laps to get that back. It was difficult, but in general we did a perfect race.
We started fifth and finished second, so we gained a lot today.”

JORDAN TAYLOR, NO. 3 MOBIL 1/SiriusXM CHEVROLET CORVETTE C8.R FINISHED SECOND IN GTD PRO:

“It was action-packed! The start was hectic. I got a bad start, actually, but there were some cars in front of me that saved my start.
I thankfully was on the right line to cycle through up to third. Once we went to green and settled in, we were saving fuel. I could see the Aston Martin was struggling, but it was going to be so hard to pass him without traffic.

So I was saving as much as I could, and every time we go traffic I would try to stay close and make something happen.
Once I got in clean air, our car seemed to come alive a bit.
It had a surprising pace, and I was quite happy with it.
The Porsche was struggling a little bit toward the end of their stint. Hopefully it stays green.
Tire degradation seems to be to our advantage, so a long stint is what we are hoping for.”

Dealing with the traffic:

“You just kind of hope and pray that they get the same bad luck sporadically. I think every P3 car that passed me was into Turn Eight; I had only one pass me into Turn One.
I would see the other guys get held up now and then. It comes and goes. We had a bunch of bad ones, but we got some good ones, too.”

Overall thoughts:

“It was a great day back at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park and at the Chevrolet Grand Prix.
We maximized what we could today. It’s not great for the overall points, but considering where we started the day, we can be pretty happy with where we ended up.
We’ll move on to Lime Rock and hopefully be a little more competitive there and move up in the championship as well.”

Team ZR-1
Teamzr1.com

Moderated by  teamzr1 

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (teamzr1), 10 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
What's New
Teammate Jason does 140 MPH in standing 1/2 mile
by teamzr1. 03/25/24 06:05 AM
C8 Corvette Convertible Water Leak
by teamzr1. 03/21/24 11:41 AM
IMSA 12 Hours of Sebring 2024
by teamzr1. 03/14/24 07:15 PM
No warranty Flipped Z06 now needs costly repairs
by teamzr1. 03/14/24 02:29 PM
Corvette Racing History
by teamzr1. 03/13/24 03:34 PM